Teacher's Zone Find strategies ranging from hands-on to graphic organizers that are ready to print out and use with your lesson plans! The Zone also has information on how to incorporate different types of social studies skills including reading and writing connections. Don't miss our assessment area for up-to-date information STAAR.Our strategies have been designed for teachers by teachers with all learners in mind!
Parent's Corner See how you the parent can help our your child learn more about social studies at the global, national, state, and community levels. We have resources and information to help parents understand what your child is learning in social studies.
TechnologyYou will discover the latest strategies that incorporate useful technology integration within a social studies setting. These strategies have been written by technology integration specialists that have used these strategies successfully in the classroom.
Links Find over 5000 links going to outside resources based upon grade level and subject area. These links have been researched for content and usability within a school setting.
Photo Album Take a tour of places around the world, the nation, and the city with our over 9,000 images! These photographs have been donated by educators to help bring the world to our students!
Blog, Board, and Wiki (Must have a SAISD Account) Read about the latest Social Studies Department's events and news on our Blog (web log). On the message boards, you can leave messages for all district teachers about strategies and questions that you may have about subject areas. Finally, you and your students can use our Wiki to author and publish research done on social studies topics!
Black History Month
The following links are provided to you to help you plan and celebrate Black History Month!
History and General Reference
Slavery in Early America
- A Freeman Enslaved by Northern Hands
- Influence of Prominent Abolitionists: African...
- AFRO-Americ@: Black Resistance... Slavery in ...
- Elizabeth "Mumbet" Freeman
- PBS - Africans in America
- Africans in America/Part 4/Resource Bank Cont..
- The Buying and Selling of Humans
- Slavery and South Carolina
Atlantic Slave Trade
- Economics of the Slave Trade
- Henry Carey on Slavery
- Middle Passage Pictoral
- Slave Ships Database
- Timeline of African Slave Trade
- Abolition Movement in America
- American Visionaries
- National Parks
- What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?
- My Escape from Slavery
William Lloyd Garrison
- The Underground Railroad
- National Geographic – The Underground RR
- Escape to Freedom - Interactive Lesson
Harriet Ann Jacobs
Uncle Tom's Cabin
- Josiah Henson
- Uncle Tom's Cabin Historical Site-Canada
- Uncle Tom's Mongomery Cabin
- Josiah Henson on the Underground Railroad
- Civil Rights Movement
- Library of Congress-African American Perspectives
- Library of Congress-African-American Odyssey
- Library of Congress The African-American Mosaic
- Civil Rights. Table of Contents
- Welcome to The National Civil Rights Museum
- The Civil Rights Movement (Angela Hornsby)
- Harry T. Moore Homesite - Mims, Florida
- African-American Heritage in Worcester County...
- Powerful Days in Black and White
Ida B. Wells
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- MLK Online - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. speeches
- Selma March
- Timeline American Civil Rights Movement
- A Tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.
"Separate but Equal"
- Welcome to Webcorp Multimedia!
- EarthStation1.com - The Civil Rights Audio / ...
- KODAK: Powerful Days in Black and White
Resistance to Change
- African American Inventors
- African American Scientists
- UGA- African Americans in History
- Understanding Other Cultures
- Exploring African-American Issues on the Web
- Information, Features, Timelines and Biographies
- Encyclopedia Britannica’s Guide to Black History
- Gale Group Resources, Lessons, and Activities
- Biography.Com African Americans who impacted American History
- CNN-Black History Month
- TIME-Celebrating Black History
- Black History Quest - Links
- PBS The Two Nations of Black America
- Afro-American Almanac
- Black Facts Online
- University of Pennsylvania – African Multimedia Archives