Special Education Department

1702 North Alamo Street
San Antonio, Texas  78215

Phone: (210) 225-2406
Fax: (210) 225-2842

General FAQs PDF Print

Question: May itinerant teachers/student support personnel work with general education students?

Answer: YES.
Itinerant teachers/SSPs may work with general education students as long as they are also serving special education students in the same classroom.


Question: Are itinerant teachers/student support personnel required to document services provided to the special education students?

Answer: YES.
Special education teachers and SSPs must document the services they provide to students with disabilities in the Confidential Records Folder.


Question: Do itinerant instructional services need to be documented in the ARD/IEP?

Answer: YES.
The type of all special education services to students must be reflected in the ARD/IEP.


Question: When are graduation plans developed and how often are they updated?

Answer: Graduation plans are developed during the student’s 8th grade year, addressing his/her 9th grade courses. In the 9th grade, graduation plans are developed for the balance of the student’s high school career. Graduation plans are updated annually.


Question: Can the eligibility folder be ponied to another SAISD campus?

Answer: NO.
The school personnel from the receiving school must to pick up the eligibility folder from the sending campus.


Question: Who signs the transmittal form for the eligibility folder(s) received?

Answer: The campus administrator or administrator’s designee must sign the transmittal form upon receipt of the folder(s).



Question: What information is to be sent to another school district when information is requested?

Answer: Copies of the current full individual evaluation, triennial review, learning competences, eligibility report(s), current annual ARD/IEP, ITP, BIP, transportation supplement, progress reports and any other current assessment for occupational therapy, physical therapy, adapted physical education, assistive technology, speech, etc., should be sent.


Question: Is a release of information required to transfer data from one school to another within the same district?

Answer: NO.


Question: Must ARD/IEP meetings be held for students transferring within the district?

Answer: An ARD/IEP meeting must be held for students transferring within district only if the ARD/IEP services and schedule at the new campus are not identical with those provided at the previous campus.


Question: If a student transfers within SAISD and the IEP remains the same at the receiving campus, can an up-dated SEMS form be sent in without an ARD?

Answer: YES.
An up-dated SEMS form can be sent without an ARD to up-date a change of campus, teacher, and/or student information.


Question: Can a three-year-old in PPCD attend a full day of school?

Answer: YES.
The ARD/IEP committee may determine a full day or a shortened day placement is appropriate to provide a free appropriate public education and to implement the ARD/IEP.

Question: If a parent requests the child be dismissed from special education, can the ARD committee dismiss the child based only on current performance as reported by the teacher?

       Answer:  A parent can submit in writting a request to revoke special education services. Prior written notice is then given to parent indicating acknowledgement of revocation. Student is then withdrawn from special education services after the five day waiting period.


Question: If school staff requests the child be dismissed from special education, can the ARD committee dismiss the child based only on current performance as reported by the teacher?

Answer: NO.
An evaluation is required prior to dismissal from special education. The ARD/IEP must consider all formal and informal assessment data prior to dismissal from special education.


What are the procedures to remove (purge) data from eligibility folder if requested by parent?

Answer: If parents believe information in education records collected, maintained, or used by the school for special education purposes is inaccurate, misleading, or violates the privacy or other rights of their child, they may ask the school to change the information.


Question: What is the rule about a student attending his/her home school or neighboring school, in regards to the provision of least restrictive environment?

Answer: A student with disabilities has the right to attend his/her home school, or the school closest to his/her home, that provides the services the student requires, as stated in the ARD/IEP, to receive FAPE.