Home Home
PDF Print E-mail

The Transitions Program is funded through federal funds appropriated under the "No Child Left Behind Act of 2001" through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act of 2001. The law provides mandates to all public school systems in the United States on the educational rights of children and youth experiencing homelessness. For a full text version of the law click here.

The purpose of the Transitions Program is to identify and enroll all children and youth experiencing homelessness in the San Antonio Independent School District and to coordinate services available within the school system and community to ensure that children experiencing homelessness receive the same educational opportunities as those children who are not homeless.

Federal law defines children and youth experiencing homeless as lacking a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence including children and youth who are:

  • Sharing housing with friends or family ("doubled up") due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason
  • Living in motels, hotels, or camping grounds due to lack of alternate accommodations
  • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings
  • Living in emergency shelters or transitional housing
  • Awaiting foster care placement
  • Not residing with their legal parent or guardian
  • Runaway youth

Children and youth in homeless situations have the right to:

  • Remain in the school of origin or enroll in the school where they currently reside
  • Be transported to and from the school of origin , if they so choose
  • Be immediately enrolled in either the school of origin or school of residence, even if they do not have required documents, such as school records, medical records, or proof of residency

***For clarification or definition of terms used throughout this website, please access the Frequently Asked Questions page or contact the SAISD Transitions office. If you are a parent, teacher, or staff member and you need help making a determination, please call the SAISD Transitions Program for assistance.***