The McKinney-Vento Education Assistance Act is a federal law that provides services to families and unaccompanied youth that live in a temporary situation due to loss of housing.
The law entitles your child to basic educational rights, including:
- Immediate enrollment
- School selection
- Transportation Assistance
- Immediate eligibility for free child nutrition
Qualification criteria includes:
- Living in shared housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason.
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, cars, substandard housing, abandoned buildings, and/or campgrounds
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Awaiting foster care placement
- Being an unaccompanied youth (not living with a parent or guardian) living in a temporary situation
- Being a migratory child who is living in any of the above circumstances
Last Updated on Monday, 19 May 2014 16:35