Coming Attractions July 2, 2010
July 5-9 — Fourth of July Holiday
Most SAISD offices will be closed and no summer school classes held this week.
July 12-16 — Aviation Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St.
Under the tutelage of the Women’s Aviation Organization and from direct contact with female pilots nationwide, 25 6th- through 9th-graders from the Young Women’s Leadership Academy will learn the principles of flight and aviation standards. Hands-on activities will include lessons in physics, engineering and mechanical engineering.
July 12-30 — PREP 2010
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at nine area colleges
Sixth through 9th graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy are improving their abstract reasoning and problem-solving skills in preparation of careers in mathematics, science, technology or engineering through participation in PREP, the San Antonio Pre-freshman Engineering Program.
July 12 thru Aug. 6 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 12 District schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department, this program provides supervised recreational opportunities.
July 17 (Sat) — Family Fitness Challenge and Wellness Fair
9 a.m. to noon at Irving Academy, 1300 Delgado St.
SAISD families are encouraged to get on the wellness wagon through attending this and other upcoming health-related fairs. Services will include diabetes, cholesterol and other screenings, CPR training, body mass index measurements, Zumba dance exhibitions, table tennis demonstrations, and classes on cooking and nutrition.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history