Coming Attractions July 23, 2010
Ongoing — Head Start program registration
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Head Start main office, 463 Holmgreen Road, building E
While space is still available, enrollment is being held for parents of children eligible for Head Start who have not yet completed an application packet. To qualify, children must be 3 or 4 on or before Sept. 1, and also meet at least one of the following criteria: unable to speak and comprehend the English language; be economically disadvantaged; the child of a parent who was killed or injured while on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces; is or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family Protective Services; and/or homeless.
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Ongoing thru July 30 — STEM Academy
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the University of Texas at San Antonio, One UTSA Circle
Thirty 9th-graders from the Young Women’s Leadership Academy will explore careers in biotechnology and advanced technologies through lessons in gene expression and gene targeting. They also will study how solar energy and nanotechnology could contribute to a new green economy.
Ongoing thru July 30 — PREP 2010
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at nine area colleges
Sixth through 9th graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy are improving their abstract reasoning and problem-solving skills in preparation of careers in mathematics, science, technology or engineering through participation in PREP, the San Antonio Pre-freshman Engineering Program.
Ongoing thru Aug. 6 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 12 District schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department, this program provides supervised recreational opportunities.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history