Coming Attractions July 30, 2010
July 30, 2010
July 31 (Sat) — Back-to-School Festival
1 to 5 p.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
The SAISD community is invited to take advantage of free school supplies and immunizations while supplies last. Required school physicals also will be administered. Parents are asked to bring their child’s immunizations records.
Aug. 4 (Wed) — Mock news conference on faux virus
1 p.m. at Fox Tech Health and Law Professions High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Students representing scientists, physicians and attorneys will enact a scenario of announcing the discovery of a new virus. In addition to describing its symptoms, how it is spread, suggested precautions, and treatment options, they also will address the legal issues that arise when a virus poses a public health hazard. The mock news conference is a culminating activity for the students’ summer reading of Richard Preston’s non-fiction bio-thriller the “Hot Zone.” This year Health Professions joins the established Law Magnet in programs offered to qualified students from throughout Bexar County as Fox Tech transitions into a non-traditional high school of choice.
Ongoing — Head Start program registration
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Head Start main office, 463 Holmgreen Road, building E
While space is still available, enrollment is being held for parents of children eligible for Head Start who have not yet completed an application packet. To qualify, children must be 3 or 4 on or before Sept. 1, and also meet at least one of the following criteria: unable to speak and comprehend English; be economically disadvantaged; the child of a parent who was killed or injured while on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces; is or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family Protective Services; and/or homeless.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Aug. 2-6 — Lake Science Adventure
9 a.m. to noon at Mitchell Lake Science Audubon Center, 10750 Pleasanton Road
1 to 3 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
While communing with nature at the 1,200-acre haven for birds, butterflies and other critters, 6th-graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy will spend their mornings applying core scientific principles to determine what makes South Central Texas ecology unique. Back at their home campus, they will conduct a variety of lab experiments and engage in other activities to culminate each day’s learning experience.
Aug. 2-6 — Crime Scene Investigation Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St.
Seventy-five Young Women’s Leadership Academy 9th-graders will explore forensic science. The camp will provide them opportunities to test facts in solving a mystery through use of the latest investigation techniques, science and technology.
Aug. 2-6 — Botanical Gardens Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, 555 Funston Place
Young Women’s Leadership Academy 8th-graders will study basic biological processes and concepts through a series of hands-on investigations, field lessons, and guest expert presentations.
Ongoing thru Aug. 6 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 12 District schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department, this program provides supervised recreational opportunities.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks