Coming Attractions July 30, 2010
1 to 5 p.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
The SAISD community is invited to take advantage of free school supplies and immunizations while supplies last. Required school physicals also will be administered. Parents are asked to bring their child’s immunizations records.
Aug. 4 (Wed) — Mock news conference on faux virus
1 p.m. at Fox Tech Health and Law Professions High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Students representing scientists, physicians and attorneys will enact a scenario of announcing the discovery of a new virus. In addition to describing its symptoms, how it is spread, suggested precautions, and treatment options, they also will address the legal issues that arise when a virus poses a public health hazard. The mock news conference is a culminating activity for the students’ summer reading of Richard Preston’s non-fiction bio-thriller the “Hot Zone.” This year Health Professions joins the established Law Magnet in programs offered to qualified students from throughout Bexar County as Fox Tech transitions into a non-traditional high school of choice.
Ongoing — Head Start program registration
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Head Start main office, 463 Holmgreen Road, building E
While space is still available, enrollment is being held for parents of children eligible for Head Start who have not yet completed an application packet. To qualify, children must be 3 or 4 on or before Sept. 1, and also meet at least one of the following criteria: unable to speak and comprehend English; be economically disadvantaged; the child of a parent who was killed or injured while on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces; is or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family Protective Services; and/or homeless.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Aug. 2-6 — Lake Science Adventure
9 a.m. to noon at Mitchell Lake Science Audubon Center, 10750 Pleasanton Road
1 to 3 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
While communing with nature at the 1,200-acre haven for birds, butterflies and other critters, 6th-graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy will spend their mornings applying core scientific principles to determine what makes South Central Texas ecology unique. Back at their home campus, they will conduct a variety of lab experiments and engage in other activities to culminate each day’s learning experience.
Aug. 2-6 — Crime Scene Investigation Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St.
Seventy-five Young Women’s Leadership Academy 9th-graders will explore forensic science. The camp will provide them opportunities to test facts in solving a mystery through use of the latest investigation techniques, science and technology.
Aug. 2-6 — Botanical Gardens Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, 555 Funston Place
Young Women’s Leadership Academy 8th-graders will study basic biological processes and concepts through a series of hands-on investigations, field lessons, and guest expert presentations.
Ongoing thru Aug. 6 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 12 District schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department, this program provides supervised recreational opportunities.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony