Coming Attractions October 1, 2010
9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Students from the host campus, those from nearby Tafolla Middle School, and parents will learn about the Giving Americans Motivational Education for the Real World program that supports public schools by funding learning expeditions and arranging for guest speakers. Saturday’s guest speakers will be San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood, an F-15 fighter pilot and an attorney.
Oct. 4 (Mon) — Grant announcement
10:30 a.m. at SAISD Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón and School Board President James Howard will announce details of a multi-million-dollar grant to expand the District’s dropout prevention program.
Oct. 5 (Tues) — Magnet open house
4:30 to 6 p.m. at Poe Middle School, 814 Aransas Ave.
Fifth-graders from throughout Bexar County and their parents are invited to learn about educational opportunities available through the American Heritage Magnet program. This is one of 15 Magnets offered at four District middle schools and eight high schools designed to provide students a strong scholastic foundation coupled with real-world experience. Open houses for the other schools will be held later in October.
Oct. 5 (Tues) — SAISD Marching Band Showcase
6:30 p.m. at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta St.
This annual fall treat for halftime show enthusiasts features marching musicians from all District high schools and middle school-level bands. Admission is free, and the showcase is open to the public.
Oct. 7 (Thurs) — ‘Read for the Record’
Pre-kinder through 1st-graders will join students nationwide in attempting to break the 2009 record of more then two million readers in this annual shared-reading event. This year’s selection is “The Snowy Day” by Ezra Jack Keats, a 1963 Caldecott Medal winner about a boy named Peter who explores his neighborhood after the first snowfall of the season. Read for the Record is sponsored by Jumpstart for Young Children in partnership with the Pearson Foundation. Times and participating SAISD schools are:
● 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón will kickoff the day’s activities as the first guest reader. Others invited for the morning include Mayor Julián Castro and Police Chief William McManus. At 2:30 p.m. children will honor this year’s selection by dressing in ski hats, scarves and mittens for an afternoon parade through the school.
● 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Green Elementary School, 122 W. Whittier St.
Readers will be community and business partners including representatives from the Grand Hyatt Hotel.
Oct. 7 (Thurs) — ‘A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings’ performance
9:15, and 10:45 a.m. and 1:15p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Edison drama students will treat youngsters from SAISD’s Austin Academy, and Hirsch, Lamar and Rogers elementaries to this play by Nilo Cruz. Adapted from a Gabriel García Márquez short story, the production is about how residents react when a very old man with enormous wings shows up in their small Caribbean village.
Oct. 8 (Fri) — Annual SAISD Parent Summit
8:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at the Education Service Center, Region 20, 1314 Hines Ave.
The keynote address will be delivered by Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón, who will speak on this year’s theme “Standing on the X: Students Achieve with Parents as Partners,” with the “X” referring to the spot on the commencement stage where graduates stand to receive their diplomas. Topics of the sessions will include an update on SAISD, and: “Creating Win-Win solutions,” “Heroes,” “Pathway to Health,” “The Power of Parents,” and "Bullying…What is it Really?”.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day