Coming Attractions October 1, 2010
October 1, 2010
Oct. 2 (Sat) — GAMER program partnership kickoff
9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Students from the host campus, those from nearby Tafolla Middle School, and parents will learn about the Giving Americans Motivational Education for the Real World program that supports public schools by funding learning expeditions and arranging for guest speakers. Saturday’s guest speakers will be San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood, an F-15 fighter pilot and an attorney.
Oct. 4 (Mon) — Grant announcement
10:30 a.m. at SAISD Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón and School Board President James Howard will announce details of a multi-million-dollar grant to expand the District’s dropout prevention program.
Oct. 5 (Tues) — Magnet open house
4:30 to 6 p.m. at Poe Middle School, 814 Aransas Ave.
Fifth-graders from throughout Bexar County and their parents are invited to learn about educational opportunities available through the American Heritage Magnet program. This is one of 15 Magnets offered at four District middle schools and eight high schools designed to provide students a strong scholastic foundation coupled with real-world experience. Open houses for the other schools will be held later in October.
Oct. 5 (Tues) — SAISD Marching Band Showcase
6:30 p.m. at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta St.
This annual fall treat for halftime show enthusiasts features marching musicians from all District high schools and middle school-level bands. Admission is free, and the showcase is open to the public.
Oct. 7 (Thurs) — ‘Read for the Record’
Pre-kinder through 1st-graders will join students nationwide in attempting to break the 2009 record of more then two million readers in this annual shared-reading event. This year’s selection is “The Snowy Day” by Ezra Jack Keats, a 1963 Caldecott Medal winner about a boy named Peter who explores his neighborhood after the first snowfall of the season. Read for the Record is sponsored by Jumpstart for Young Children in partnership with the Pearson Foundation. Times and participating SAISD schools are:
● 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón will kickoff the day’s activities as the first guest reader. Others invited for the morning include Mayor Julián Castro and Police Chief William McManus. At 2:30 p.m. children will honor this year’s selection by dressing in ski hats, scarves and mittens for an afternoon parade through the school.
● 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Green Elementary School, 122 W. Whittier St.
Readers will be community and business partners including representatives from the Grand Hyatt Hotel.
Oct. 7 (Thurs) — ‘A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings’ performance
9:15, and 10:45 a.m. and 1:15p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Edison drama students will treat youngsters from SAISD’s Austin Academy, and Hirsch, Lamar and Rogers elementaries to this play by Nilo Cruz. Adapted from a Gabriel García Márquez short story, the production is about how residents react when a very old man with enormous wings shows up in their small Caribbean village.
Oct. 8 (Fri) — Annual SAISD Parent Summit
8:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at the Education Service Center, Region 20, 1314 Hines Ave.
The keynote address will be delivered by Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón, who will speak on this year’s theme “Standing on the X: Students Achieve with Parents as Partners,” with the “X” referring to the spot on the commencement stage where graduates stand to receive their diplomas. Topics of the sessions will include an update on SAISD, and: “Creating Win-Win solutions,” “Heroes,” “Pathway to Health,” “The Power of Parents,” and "Bullying…What is it Really?”.
--- SAISD ---
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony