Coming Attractions October 8, 2010
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Houston between Soledad and South Presa streets
Every autumn concrete is their canvas when youngsters from throughout San Antonio - including those from six SAISD’s schools - join professional artists in adorning a prime downtown thoroughfare in chalk. The performing and culinary arts also will be featured through music, and food and refreshment booths. This annual celebration of creativity is presented by Artpace San Antonio and Valero Energy Corporation along with numerous business and civic partners.
Oct. 9 (Sat) — ‘Estilo Street’ to feature ‘T.J. Fashionista’ designs
10 p.m. at the Guadalupe Cultural Arts District, Brazos and Guadalupe streets
The work of student designers from SAISD’s Jefferson High School and their teacher Sandra Starr will be modeled during the “Estilo Street — Runway En La Calle” fashion show. The program is part of the evening’s “Una Noche de la Gloria” festivities showcasing West Side fashion designers, artists, musicians, filmmakers, and writers.
Oct. 11 (Mon) — Columbus Day holiday
All schools and most offices will be closed.
Oct. 12 (Tues) — ‘Dig for the Cure’
SAISD high school volleyball players are joining thousands nationwide in dedicating their games to raising money for breast cancer research. Breast cancer survivors will be recognized preceding the following featured matches. All proceeds will benefit the San Antonio Komen Foundation. Featured matches will be:
● 5:30 p.m. – Jefferson vs. Fox Tech
● 7:30 p.m. – Edison vs. Brackenridge – both at the
Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
● 5:30 p.m. – Burbank vs. Southside
● 7:30 p.m. – Lanier vs. Kennedy – both at the
Lanier Alumni Center, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
● 6:15 p.m. – Sam Houston vs. Yoakum at
Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
● 7:30 p.m. – Highlands vs. Southwest at
Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin St.
Oct. 12 (Tues) — ‘A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings’ performance
7 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
The host school’s drama students will perform this play by Nilo Cruz. Adapted from a Gabriel García Márquez short story, the production is about how residents react when a very old man with enormous wings shows up in their small Caribbean village. The public is invited, and donations will be taken at the door.
Oct. 13 (Wed) — SAISD students to compete in ‘Best-Tasting Salsa’ contest
Noon to 1 p.m. at St. Phillip’s College, 1801 Martin Luther King Drive
Culinary arts students from SAISD’s Burbank and Lanier high schools will compete in this event celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month. New for this year’s contest will be a mystery produce item that competitors will be required to incorporate into their salsa. Judges will include local chefs and restaurateurs Blanca Aldaco of Aldaco's Restaurant and Diane Barrios of Los Barrios Restaurant.
Oct. 14 (Thurs) — SAISD schools to attend annual Drug Free Pep Rally
8 a.m. at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
Youngsters from SAISD’s Bonham Academy and Herff Elementary will join hundreds of students citywide at this Red Ribbon Week kickoff event sponsored by San Antonio Fighting Back. At 9 a.m. the students are scheduled to depart for the state capital as part of a presentation to legislators on a draft bill they created promoting drug-free living.
Oct. 14 (Thurs) — Urban Agricultural Studies Magnet open house
6 to 8 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Eighth-graders from throughout Bexar County and their parents are invited to learn about educational options offered through this Magnet for teens interested in careers in agriculture, food and natural resources. Burbank is one of eight SAISD high schools hosting Magnet programs designed to provide students a strong scholastic foundation coupled with real-world experience.
Oct. 15 (Fri) — Mayor’s visit to highlight ‘Teen Read Week’
2 p.m. at Irving Middle School, 1300 Delgado St.
Julián Castro will be the featured reader this week in which a variety of community members and public servants take time out from their busy schedules to promote the importance of reading. The West Side school’s observance runs Oct. 12-15.
Oct. 15 (Fri) — Radio Disney visit
2 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh Place
In celebration of Hispanic Heritage History month a representative from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will treat 1st-graders to a reading of “Ricitos de Oro,” the Spanish version of the classic fairy tale “Goldilocks and the Three Bears.”
Oct. 16 (Sat) — International Baccalaureate Diploma Magnet open house
10 to 11:30 a.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Eighth-graders from throughout Bexar County and their parents are invited to learn about educational options offered through the renowned, rigorous IB honors program. Burbank is one of eight SAISD high schools hosting Magnet programs designed to provide students a strong scholastic foundation coupled with real-world experience.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14