Coming Attractions October 29, 2010
Oct. 30 (Sat) — ‘Passport to Social Studies’ conference
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 400 E. Market St.
Keynote address will be delivered by author and former middle school teacher and adjunct professor Eric Jensen best known for his “brain-based” learning approach who will speak at 8:45 a.m. The 10th-annual conference to include sessions, hands-on interactive lessons and exhibits, is sponsored by the SAISD’s Department of Social Studies.
Nov. 2 (Tues) — Election Day
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at various locations
Among the items on the ballot for District voters is SAISD Bond 2010. If approved, the bond would fund upgrades and improvements for schools across the District. For voting information visit:http://www.co.bexar.tx.us/elections.
Nov. 6 (Sat) — Chili Bowl Gala
5:30 p.m. at Exposition Hall at the Freeman, 3201 E. Houston St.
The community is invited to join alumni from SAISD’s Fox Tech and Lanier high schools for an evening of festivities including auctions, dinner and dancing. Masters of ceremony will be former State Board of Education member Dr. Joe Bernal and University of Texas at San Antonio President Dr. Ricardo Romo, graduates of Lanier and Fox Tech, respectively. Proceeds will be used to establish scholarships for their alma maters, and to benefit Tech’s new Health Professions Magnet Program. The gala – intended to be an annual event – was established to keep alive the spirit of the beloved Chili Bowl. This 67-year football rivalry ended in 2009 as part of Tech’s transitions into a stand-alone Magnet high school. In addition to Health Professions, the school also has the established Law and Research Magnet. Tickets are $30 per person. For more information visit www.chilibowl.org.
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history