As a result of a successful bond election on November 2, 2010, we are now beginning the planning stages for the many projects outlined in the proposal. These projects will be deployed over the next three to five years. More detailed announcements, budgets, and calendars will be posted to this website when they become available.
Bond 2010 – Milestones for December 2010-January 2011
Citizens’ Oversight Committee
• SAISD plans to issue the bonds in stages, based on the cash flow needed for construction and the timing required to maximize SAISD’s eligibility for state aid.
• SAISD met with the Rating Agencies (Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s and Fitch) in late November. Ratings should be received by the second week of December.
• Bond pricing (actual sale of a portion of the bonds) will be December 13 & 14. We expect this first sale will be for approximately $100 million to $150 million – and to receive the bond proceeds on the 29th or the 30th of December in order to comply with the Build America Bonds regulations.
• A Request for Proposals (RFP) has been issued for a bond project administrator (proposals due December 13), and Request for Qualifications (RFQ) have been issued for architects, engineers and other consultants (due January 4). Over the next few months, SAISD will assemble a team of architects, engineers and consultants to design and oversee the construction program as well as bring in a program administrator team to manage major activities. Hiring of these firms will extend between January and March 2011.
Solicitations available at www.texasbidsystem.com. For information contact Felix Alvarez, (210) 224-2781, ext: 114.
• In January, pricing details on playground equipment will go to the Board for approval. Following approval we will begin purchasing the playground equipment for primary schools.
• Technology is in the process of drafting Request for Proposals (RFPs) for computer hardware, which they expect to issue in early January. RFP selection process will continue from January through early February with input coming from staff and campus personnel. In March, quantity and pricing details will go to the board for approval. Once approved equipment will be ordered and we project delivery in April/May.
General Timing overview
The purchase of computers and playground equipment will proceed immediately following funding of bonds. Design for safety and security projects will also proceed quickly with awards to several contractors allowing for installations at multiple campuses simultaneously.
For major projects, the schedule generally requires hiring architects and engineers by March 2011 followed by a year of design work, followed by three months to bid and award contracts, and then approximately two to three years of construction (with work proceeding in phases to ensure safety and limit disruptions for students and staff.) Overall, we expect a majority of the projects to be deployed within the next three to five years.