Coming Attractions November 12, 2010
November 12, 2010
Nov. 13 (Sat) — Our Health, Our Future Heath Fair and rummage sale
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Sponsor H-E-B will provide free glucose, blood pressure, weight and height checks and body mass indexes. Low-cost flu shots also will be offered. Proceeds from the rummage sale will benefit the all-girl school’s PTA.
Nov. 13 (Sat) — Jefferson architecture students to take the Gingerbread Design Challenge
9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Pearl Studio, 200 E. Grayson St.
Teens from SAISD’s Jefferson High School will be the only non-professionals among local architects, engineers, designers and contractors competing in this tasty Iron Chef-style contest. Sponsors include the West East Design Group, Pearl, Architecture Foundation San Antonio, and the event’s beneficiary, the San Antonio Children’s Museum.
Nov. 13 (Sat) — SAISD Early Childhood Education Wellness Fair
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland at South St. Mary’s Street
Parents of 3- and 4-year-olds and their families can take advantage of information offered by a variety of organizations, nutritious food samples from local restaurants, door prizes and other giveaways, while their children can enjoy fun and games.
Nov. 13 (Sat) — SAISD student essays included in book signing
3 p.m. at Barnes & Noble, 15900 La Cantera Parkway
Essays written by the District’s Rhodes Middle School students are among those in “One Lit Candle, Writings on Leadership” produced by the Boys & Girls Club.
Nov. 16 (Tues) — U.S. Army All-American Bowl band invitation ceremony
9:30 a.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland at South St. Mary’s Street
An official invitation will be extended to Domonique Marrero to join the All-American Marching Band’s drumline. The Brackenridge High School senior – who plays bass drum - is one of 125 students nationwide selected to perform with the U.S. Army All-American Band during halftime of the bowl game to be played Jan. 8 in the Alamodome.
Nov. 18 (Thurs) — Culture Fair
6 to 7 p.m. at Lamar Elementary School, 201 Parland Place
Students will be tour guides as they take their parents and other guests on a journey through eight different cultures they have been studying.
Nov. 18 (Thurs) — Production of ‘The Wizard of Oz’
7 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Students from SAISD’s Austin Academy for the Performing and Visual Arts will present the beloved L. Frank Baum’s story of Dorothy and her dog Toto’s adventures in this enchanted land somewhere over the rainbow.
Nov. 18-19 — Production of ‘Alice in Wonderland’
6:30 p.m. at Say SÍ, 1518 S. Alamo St.
Students from SAISD’s Bonham Academy will perform the classic Lewis Carroll tale of what Alice finds after following the White Rabbit (who was late for a very an important date) down his rabbit hole.
Nov. 18-19 — Radio Disney visits
Four SAISD elementaries with the highest number of parents to turn in CHIP/Medicaid applications as part of the District’s 100 Percent Campaign earned special presentations from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160. The following are scheduled for next week:
● Nov. 18 (Thurs) – 1:30 p.m. at Graebner Elementary School, 530 Hoover St.
● Nov. 19 – (Fri) – 1:15 p.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Pl.
Nov. 19 (Fri) — Reading Rock Stars presentations
8:30 to 11 a.m. at Rogers Elementary School, 620 McIlvaine St.
12:50 to 2:30 p.m. at Ogden Elementary School, 2215 Leal St.
Two nationally-acclaimed authors will read and give signed copies of their books to the school libraries and students. For the younger children, Susan Elya Middleton will share “Rubia,” her humorous bilingual version of the children’s classic “Goldilocks and the Three Bears.” Third- through 5th-graders will enjoy Jennifer Cervantes’ “Tortilla Sun,” the tale of 12-year-old Izzy who discovers a foreign land of her own culture while spending the summer in her Nana's remote New Mexico village. Their presentations are sponsored by the Texas Book Festival’s Reading Rock Stars program that provides students in economically-disadvantaged public schools opportunities to meet the authors of the books they read.
--- SAISD ---
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony