Coming Attractions Decembert 17, 2010
All schools and most offices will be closed, and will re-open Monday, Jan. 3.
Jan. 1 (Sat) — SAISD teacher chosen a ‘Spurs Teacher of the Game’
7:30 p.m. game time at the AT&T Center, One AT&T Center
Bonham Academy 4th-grade dual language teacher Veronica Medrano will start the New Year on a high note when she will be honored during the Spurs’ contest with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Ongoing thru Jan. 3 — SAISD taking applications for Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
Jan. 3 (Mon) — Textbook public hearing
5 to 7 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Citizens may comment on the learning materials students will use in their classrooms during the 2011-12 school year. Textbooks up for adoption are: English Language Arts grades 2–12; English As A Second Language grades K–8; Spelling, grades 1–6; Handwriting, grades 1-3; and Pre-Kindergarten Systems (including Spanish components).
Jan. 6 (Thurs) — Title 1 Dyslexia Conference
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Plaza San Antonio, 555 S. Alamo St.
Interested parents and patrons are invited to attend this conference sponsored annually by SAISD. This year’s theme is “You, Your Child and Dyslexia.”
Jan. 7 (Fri) — SAISD students to compete at ‘Music In The Schools’ contest
6 p.m. at Sunset Station’s Lone Star Pavilion, 1174 E. Commerce
Eighteen high school mariachi and drumline groups including the District’s Brackenridge, Edison, Fox Tech and Lanier will compete in this kick-off event for the Jan. 8 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. The musicians will perform before a panel of judges who will critique them, and a live audience who will determine the winner through text votes. All participants will receive educational scholarships to benefit their schools’ music departments. The competition is sponsored by Music In The Schools in partnership with the annual bowl.
Jan. 8 (Sat) — SAISD students to participate in U.S. Army All-American Bowl
Noon kickoff at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
Sam Houston High School defensive tackle Quincy Russell will compete on the gridiron for team West, while Brackenridge High School bass drummer Dominque Marrero will be part of halftime entertainment for the marching band’s drumline. This annual game featuring high school all stars nationwide will be broadcast locally on NBC-affiliate WOAI-TV.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM San Antonio Fire Department S.A.F.E. House demonst...
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM Drawing to treat perfect attendance student to Tay...
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM PTA LOT
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM Go Green Club craft, art and rummage sale
- May 18 20 | 12:30 PM Middle School UIL awards ceremony
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony