Coming Attractions January 7, 2011
Noon kickoff at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
Sam Houston High School defensive tackle Quincy Russell will compete on the gridiron for team West, while Brackenridge High School bass drummer Dominque Marrero will be part of halftime entertainment for the marching band’s drumline. This annual game featuring high school all stars nationwide will be broadcast locally on NBC-affiliate WOAI-TV.
Jan. 8 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
Giacomo Puccini’s “La Fanciulla del West” is the second of four live opera broadcasts that select District middle school choir students and their directors will see through April. This three-act production based on the play “The Girl of the Golden West” by David Belasco was first performed by the Met in 1910. For the third consecutive year SAISD has been chosen among school districts nationwide for the Met program providing opportunities to experience New York’s Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center. Participation is part of a comprehensive fine arts lesson including vocals, music, history, set design, costuming and theater.
Jan. 12 (Wed) — AVID EXPO 2011
6 to 8 p.m. at Jefferson High School Cafeteria, 723 Donaldson Ave
SAISD Advancement Through Individual Determination program students will test their knowledge by competing in a contest formatted like the popular game show “Jeopardy.”
Jan. 12, 13, 14 and 15 — Performance of ‘Hairspray’
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The Broadway rendition of this musical about how plump teenager Tracy Turnblad becomes a celebrity dancer on a Baltimore TV dance show in 1962, and her campaign to integrate the program, will be presented by the school’s Performing Arts Academy. Ticket price is $5 in advance and $8 at the door.
Jan. 13, 14 and 15 — Performance of ‘Sweeney Todd’
7:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
The school’s drama department will present this musical thriller about “The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.” Ticket price is $5 in advance and $7 at the door.
Jan. 14 (Fri) — SAISD students and staff to be honored
6 to 9 p.m. at Say Sí Central, 1518 S. Alamo St.
Among the honorees at the San Antonio region annual scholastic art and writing awards ceremony will be students from the District’s Brackenridge and Highlands high schools, and teachers from Irving and Tafolla middle schools and Edison, Fox Tech, and Jefferson high schools. As one of 108 partner affiliates nationwide for the Alliance for Young Artist & Writers, Say Sí administers awards entered in 15 categories including film and animation; sculpture; painting; photography; and printmaking. Submissions first are judged locally by a panel of renowned artists, educators, and arts professionals. Works receiving top honors regionally are then entered for national judging.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation