Coming Attractions January 14, 2011
Jan. 15 (Sat) — Spurs coach scheduled to ‘Team Up’ for the Secret Garden restoration
1:30 p.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St.
Gregg Popovich is expected to show his support as 4th-grade students bring new life to a garden at their King William neighborhood school. The Spurs coach was invited in honor of Bonham being among 20 area schools to receive $2,500 in seed money to help their communities. The garden is being transformed into a place for 4th-graders to read books to kindergarteners about the environment and community service, both of which are among the focuses of this in-district charter school.
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The Broadway rendition of this musical about how plump teenager Tracy Turnblad becomes a celebrity dancer on a Baltimore TV dance show in 1962, and her campaign to integrate the program will be presented by the school’s Performing Arts Academy. Ticket price is $5 in advance and $8 at the door.
Jan. 15 (Sat) — Performance of ‘Sweeney Todd’
7:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
The school’s drama department will present this musical thriller about “The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.” Ticket price is $5 in advance and $7 at the door.
All schools and most offices will be closed.
Jan. 18 (Tues) — Health and nutrition meeting
8:30 a.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
Proposals to help students, parents and community members live healthier lives will be discussed. The finalized plan – funded through a $13,000 grant from the Texas Department of Health Services to help prevent obesity - will serve as a regional model. Assisting in these efforts is the Texas AgriLife Extension Services.
Jan. 18 (Tues) — School Board recognition reception and meeting
4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St
The contributions of SAISD’s hard-working and award-winning Trustees will be honored during a reception celebrating Texas School Board Recognition Month. The regularly-scheduled monthly meeting will follow.
Jan. 21 (Fri) — SAISD students to participate in historical marker unveiling for Sunshine Ranch site
2 p.m. at Morningside Manor, 602 Babcock Road
Maverick Elementary School students will attend to honor their school’s namesake whose descendants donated land for their campus which includes the unveiling’s host site. A great-great-granddaughter of former Sunshine Ranch owner, Texas patriot, and San Antonio mayor Samuel A. Maverick also has been invited to attend.
Jan. 21 (Fri) — Artpace partnership plaque unveiling
3:30 to 4:30 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
A metal plaque featuring an analysis of 12 pieces of art throughout the school will assume a place of prominence in the main office entrance. It and the others at the downtown campus were created in partnership with the nearby Artpace visual arts center. Writers for this project were the sixth-period English I students of teacher Pauline Garza.
Jan. 21 (Fri) — ‘Teach Me SAISD’ red carpet festival
6 p.m. at the Instituto de Mexico, 600 HemisFair Plaza Way
Making their debut will be student-created videos shown to an audience of their teen producers, cinematographers, publicists, and stars, along with SAISD staff and proud parents. Following the red carpet premier, the 45- and 60-second “Teach Me SAISD” marketing videos will be shown at Santikos theaters, social networking sites and at District job fairs to recruit prospective teachers worldwide.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14