Coming Attractions February 7, 2011
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, and 2 to 5 p.m. March 14 ONLY at
SAISD’s Department of Governmental & Community Relations, 141 Lavaca St.
Qualified citizens interested in running for School Board in Districts 2, 5, and 6 may pick up packets. The filing period will run from Monday, Feb. 14 through Monday, March 14, and Election Day is Saturday, May 14.
Feb. 8 (Tues) — Citizens’ Oversight Committee organizational meeting – NEW DATE
6 p .m. at the SAISD Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
This will be the first meeting of this 24-member group appointed by District Trustees to monitor progress of SAISD Bond 2010. The committee will elect officers and draw for lengths of terms varying from 12 months, 18 months or two years. (This meeting originally was scheduled for Feb. 2, but was postponed due to inclement weather.)
Feb. 8-9 — Page Middle School students to visit SAC and planetarium
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at San Antonio College, 1300 San Pedro Ave.
Courtesy of the GAMER (Giving Americans Motivational Education for the Real World) program, students from SAISD’s Page Middle School will have an opportunity to preview higher education. Their tour will include a visit to the Scobee planetarium.
Feb. 8-10 — Santa Fe storyteller presentations
● Feb. 8 (Tues) – 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh Place
● Feb. 9 (Wed) – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Pershing Elementary School, 600 Sandmeyer St.
● Feb. 10 (Thurs) - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St.
A taste of New Mexico and the old Southwest will come to these schools through the folk tales of Joe Hayes. Among the popular books for children the Santa Fe-based storyteller has authored include “The Day It Snowed Tortillas,” “A Heart Full of Turquoise,” and “The Gum Chewing Rattler,” some of which will be available for purchase and a personal autograph.
Feb. 9 (Wed) — 2011 Valero Go!Kids Challenge kickoff press conference
10 a.m. at Kelly Elementary School, 1026 Thompson Place
Olympian swimming medalist Josh Davis, L.A. Sparks basketball player Maria Ferdinand, San Antonio Sports Foundation representatives, and the Burbank High School drumline, cheerleaders and athletes will be among those motivating youngsters to get moving. Goals for the more than 160,000 elementary students from San Antonio and surrounding areas participating in the eight-week program are: at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day; to eat fruits and vegetables daily; and to replace sodas with water. Participants can keep track through personal journals or online. The finish line will be reached on Sunday, April 10 at the Alamodome where victors will receive medals and T-shirts. The program was developed by the San Antonio Sports Foundation to encourage youngsters to make exercise a regular part of their lives.
Feb. 9 (Wed) — State funding crisis community meeting
6 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
SAISD leaders will present an overview of what caused the Texas budget shortfall, and how cuts are expected to impact the District.
Feb. 10 (Thurs) — SkillsUSA Leadership competition
5 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Community professionals will judge career technology students competing in leadership events such as quiz bowl, job interview, prepared speech, and technical math. Student projects also will be on display.
Feb. 10 (Thurs) — Financial Aid Night
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Representatives from Project STAY Inc. will present college-bound students and their parents information on the application process, entrance exams, financial aid and scholarships.
Feb. 12 (Sat) — SkillsUSA awards ceremony
9 a.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd
Awards will be presented to career and technology students who placed first and second in the earlier competition. They also will qualify for the state contest in Corpus Christi.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony