Coming Attractions February 18, 2011
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, and 2 to 5 p.m. March 14 ONLY at
SAISD’s Department of Governmental & Community Relations, 141 Lavaca St.
Feb. 21 (Mon) — Citizens’ Oversight Committee meeting
6 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
This 24-member, Trustee-appointed group monitors progress of SAISD Bond 2010.
Feb. 22 (Tues) — Radio Disney visit
9 a.m. at Cameron Elementary School, 3635 Belgium Lane
As part of Black History Month events, students will be treated to a reading of the pictorial biography “Martin’s Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.” by a representative from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160.
Feb. 22 (Tues) — Kelly ES kids go to college for robotics project
9:30 11:30 a.m. at the St. Philip’s College Southwest Campus, 800 Quintana Road
In observance of National Engineering Week, 5th-graders from SAISD’s Kelly Elementary will work with college students and faculty to build core motors that power robots and other devises. This activity is in partnership with the St. Philip’s Center of Excellence in Science and Mathematics and SAISD to interest youngsters in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and math.
Feb. 22 (Tues) — Visit from America’s second president
9:55 to 10:40 a.m. and 12:10 to 4:15 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
John Adams (as portrayed by teacher Carol De Leon) will offer his personal perspective to students at this downtown campus on their presidency studies, including pondering their own desires to someday run for the nation’s highest office.
Feb. 22 (Tues) — SAISD Bond 2010 community meeting
6 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
This is one of seven meetings being held in all SAISD Trustee districts to provide the community with information on the progress and upcoming projects for the $515 million multiyear building improvement program voters approved in November. Hosts for the meetings are the School Board and SAISD bond team.
Feb. 23 (Wed) — ‘I Am Beautiful’ presentation
5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache St.
Maria Falcon, creator and director of the Victims Empowerment Counseling Program, and veteran film, TV and print makeup artists Cynthia Hancevic and Begoña De Ubieta, will facilitate this session at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school to teach students how to be safe while building up self-esteem and self-image. “I Am Beautiful” is a component of Falcon’s victim’s empowerment group curriculum.
Feb. 24 (Thurs) — Rhodes MS student chosen for ‘Poetry Slam’ workshop
5 to 6:30 p.m. at the Calderon Boys and Girls Club of San Antonio, 600 SW 19th St.
Partnered with Bexar County 57th District Court Judge Toni Arteaga, Irene Salazar will be among five select students at this inaugural event for the San Antonio Area Foundation’s new Women & Girls Development Fund. The 8th-grader from SAISD’s Rhodes Middle School and the judge – who also is serving as her mentor this spring – will create their own original poems as well as study the works of poet and author Isabel Allende. Next month the poetic partners will perform their works for her and a live audience at a luncheon fundraiser where Allende will be keynote speaker. Irene’s participation is part of her membership in the Young Explorer’s Club for college-bound students sponsored by the Boys and Girls Club of San Antonio.
Feb. 24 (Thurs) — ‘Planting a Seed for the Future’ school informational meeting
6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Prospective students and their parents are invited to learn about the educational opportunities and programs available at this historic near Northwest Side high school.
Feb. 25 (Fri) — Read Across America celebrations
Schools Districtwide will join others throughout the nation in marking what would have been beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel’s 107th birthday the following week. Among the events include those scheduled for:
● 8:15 a.m. (readings start) and 9 a.m. (parade) at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh Place – SAISD Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón, and Jefferson High School football players and cheerleaders will be among guest readers. Leading the parade will be Seuss characters the Cat and the Hat and Thing 1 and Thing 2.
● 9 a.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St. – District 2 City Councilmember Ivy Taylor will read.
● 9:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. at Baskin Elementary School, 630 Crestview Drive – Guest readers will include professors from the University of the Incarnate Word and UTSA, and Bexar County 436th District Court Judge Lisa Jarrett
● 1 p.m. at Barkley-Ruiz Elementary School, 1111 Navidad St.
● 1 p.m. at Ogden Elementary School, 2215 Leal St. – District 5 Councilmember David Medina will be among guest readers.
Feb. 25 (Fri) — Radio Disney wellness visits
Representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will present health and fitness tips for students at:
● 9 a.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St.
● 2 p.m. at De Zavala Elementary School, 2311 San Luis St.
Feb. 26 (Sat) — First Annual Mid-Year Uniform Drive/Softball Tournament
8 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Rusty Lyons Softball Field, 6300 McCullough Ave.
The community can contribute to a good cause while enjoying games of softball played by nine SAISD schools. Spectators are asked to bring new or gently-used uniforms and new packaged socks and undergarments to this drive and tournament sponsored by SAISD in partnership with the city’s Department of Parks and Recreation.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 06 20 | 01:00 PM Click! Takata Safety Program
- December 09 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 20 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School