Coming Attractions April 22, 2011
All District schools and most offices will be closed.
April 25 (Mon) — Curbside TAKS attendance incentives
To encourage parents to make sure their children are in school for the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills exam, volunteers from the Presa Community Center, Starbucks Coffee Company, and United Way are sponsoring activities including serving coffee or aguas frescas at the curb. Incentives scheduled for the Monday after Easter – a day traditionally marked by high absenteeism - are:
● 7 to 8 a.m. at Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St. Parents will be greeted by two children dressed as baby giraffes, the school
● 7 to 8 a.m. at Hillcrest Elementary School, 211 W. Malone Ave.
● 7 to 8 a.m. at Riverside Park Elementary School, 202 School St. The Easter bunny will stay in town an extra day to make an appearance.
● 3 to 4 p.m. at Green Elementary School, 122 W. Whittier St.
April 25 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
April 26 (Tues) — SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
6:30 p.m. at Rogers Middle School, 314 Galway St.
The public is invited to meetings of PTA chapter representatives Districtwide.
April 30 (Sat) — Design Treasures Seminar
9 a.m. to noon at Wilson Elementary School, 1421 Clower St.
Students will have the opportunity to learn about the design industry by meeting with architects and electrical and mechanical engineers.
April 30 (Sat) — Jefferson Architecture Department collaborates on design charette
9:30 a.m.to 4 p.m. at the Architecture Foundation of San Antonio, 200 E. Grayson St., suite 200
High school students from throughout Bexar County will devise infill designs – structures for vacant plots of urban land – appropriate for historic neighborhoods. Projects will be presented on May 7, and awards given for the best creations. The charettes are a collaborative effort between SAISD’s Jefferson High School Architecture Department, the city of San Antonio’s Office of Historic Preservation, and the San Antonio Architecture Foundation.
April 30 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
Giuseppe Verdi ‘s suspenseful romantic drama “Il Trovatore” featuring lilting gypsy tunes is the final of four live opera broadcasts that select District middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. SAISD is among school districts nationwide chosen for the Met program that provides opportunities to experience New York’s Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center.
April 30 (Sat) — Fine Arts in Education Coalition of S.A. Bowl-A-Thon 2011
2 to 4 p.m. at Oak Hills Bowling Lanes, 7330 Callaghan Road
Proceeds will benefit the SAISD Showcase T-Shirt Art Competition. Registration fee is $15 per person or $80 per six-person team. For information on participating and/or to contribute to this worthy cause visit sponsor Fine Arts in Education Coalition of S.A. Facebook page.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14