Coming Attractions April 22, 2011
April 22, 2011
April 22 (Fri) — Good Friday
All District schools and most offices will be closed.
April 25 (Mon) — Curbside TAKS attendance incentives
To encourage parents to make sure their children are in school for the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills exam, volunteers from the Presa Community Center, Starbucks Coffee Company, and United Way are sponsoring activities including serving coffee or aguas frescas at the curb. Incentives scheduled for the Monday after Easter – a day traditionally marked by high absenteeism - are:
● 7 to 8 a.m. at Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St. Parents will be greeted by two children dressed as baby giraffes, the school
● 7 to 8 a.m. at Hillcrest Elementary School, 211 W. Malone Ave.
● 7 to 8 a.m. at Riverside Park Elementary School, 202 School St. The Easter bunny will stay in town an extra day to make an appearance.
● 3 to 4 p.m. at Green Elementary School, 122 W. Whittier St.
April 25 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
April 26 (Tues) — SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
6:30 p.m. at Rogers Middle School, 314 Galway St.
The public is invited to meetings of PTA chapter representatives Districtwide.
April 30 (Sat) — Design Treasures Seminar
9 a.m. to noon at Wilson Elementary School, 1421 Clower St.
Students will have the opportunity to learn about the design industry by meeting with architects and electrical and mechanical engineers.
April 30 (Sat) — Jefferson Architecture Department collaborates on design charette
9:30 a.m.to 4 p.m. at the Architecture Foundation of San Antonio, 200 E. Grayson St., suite 200
High school students from throughout Bexar County will devise infill designs – structures for vacant plots of urban land – appropriate for historic neighborhoods. Projects will be presented on May 7, and awards given for the best creations. The charettes are a collaborative effort between SAISD’s Jefferson High School Architecture Department, the city of San Antonio’s Office of Historic Preservation, and the San Antonio Architecture Foundation.
April 30 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
Giuseppe Verdi ‘s suspenseful romantic drama “Il Trovatore” featuring lilting gypsy tunes is the final of four live opera broadcasts that select District middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. SAISD is among school districts nationwide chosen for the Met program that provides opportunities to experience New York’s Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center.
April 30 (Sat) — Fine Arts in Education Coalition of S.A. Bowl-A-Thon 2011
2 to 4 p.m. at Oak Hills Bowling Lanes, 7330 Callaghan Road
Proceeds will benefit the SAISD Showcase T-Shirt Art Competition. Registration fee is $15 per person or $80 per six-person team. For information on participating and/or to contribute to this worthy cause visit sponsor Fine Arts in Education Coalition of S.A. Facebook page.
--- SAISD ---
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history