Coming Attractions May 6, 2011
May 7 (Sat) — Presentations and award ceremony for design charette
11 a.m.to 3 p.m. at the Architecture Foundation of San Antonio, 200 E. Grayson St. suite 200
Infill designs appropriate for historic neighborhoods that were created during April 30 charettes will be presented starting at 1:30 p.m. followed by a 3 p.m. awards ceremony. The day’s activities will begin with a lecture on preservation architecture. These events are collaborative efforts between SAISD’s Jefferson High School Architecture Department, the city of San Antonio’s Office of Historic Perseveration, and the San Antonio Architecture Foundation.
May 7 (Sat) — Lanier High School students to take part in SystemsGo rocket launch
11:20 a.m. at the Hillview Ranch, 4259 Rural Route 1323 Country Road, Willow City
Science Research and Design students from SAISD’s Lanier High School will launch Buzz Lightgear in culmination of their year-long SystemsGo aeroscience project. They will be among students representing more than 40 participating high schools statewide setting off their rockets at this site near Fredericksburg. This will be the second consecutive year Lanier – that served as the District’s pilot school for the SystemsGo curriculum in 2009-10 – will participate in the launching.
May 10 (Tues) — Early voting ends
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at various times at numerous of locations
This is the final day that Bexar County voters can cast ballots early in several races including SAISD Trustee for places 2, 5 and 6. Election Day is Saturday, May 14.
May 10 (Tues) — Citizens’ Oversight Committee meeting
6 p .m. at Woodlawn Elementary School, 1717 W. Magnolia Ave.
The public is invited to attend the meetings of this 24-member group created to ensure the effective and efficient use of SAISD Bond 2010 proceeds.
May 11 (Wed) — News conference & Ribbon cutting for bond-funded playground
10:30 a.m. at Briscoe Elementary School, 2015 S. Flores St.
Recess will be even more fun for children at 48 SAISD elementaries, thanks to voters who approved SAISD Bond 2010. Briscoe ES is the first school to receive the new playgrounds. Two play areas will feature equipment that is modern, safe, and age-appropriate: one for PreK-to-Kindergarten and another for 1st- through 5th-graders. The new playgrounds also will include sun shades, and safety surfacing under and around the structures. Following a ribbon cutting, kindergartners will have the opportunity to try out the new playground.
May 12 (Thurs) — SAISD Dance Festival
7 p.m. at Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
Each spring the most energetic, high-stepping extravaganza this side of Radio City Music Hall showcases dance teams and cheerleader performances Districtwide
May 13 (Fri) — Radio Disney wellness visit
2 to 2:45 p.m. at Arnold Elementary School, 467 Freiling Drive
Representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will present health and fitness tips.
May 14 (Sat) — Election Day
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at numerous of locations
Ballot items include election of SAISD Trustees for places 2,5 and 6.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day