Coming Attractions May 27, 2011
May 27, 2011
May 30 (Mon) — Memorial Day
All SAISD schools and most departments will be closed.
May 31 (Tues) — Memorial tree planting ceremony
8:30 a.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St.
Students, staff and parents will celebrate the life and memory of Martha Martinez by planting a tree in her honor in the school’s courtyard. The 1st- and 2nd-grade dual language teacher – who passed away earlier this year – had taught five years for SAISD.
May 31 (Tues) — College preview
9:45 to 11:45 a.m. at the St. Philip’s College Southwest Campus, 800 Quintana Road
SAISD’s Page Middle School students will explore their future higher education options, as well engage in discussions on life-long skills such as punctuality, problem solving, decision making, teamwork, critical thinking, treating colleagues and customers with respect, and work ethic. Attendees are participants in the GAMER (Giving Americans Motivational Education for the Real World) program.
May 31 (Tues) — Reception for Thomas C. López
4:45 to 6 p.m. at Lanier High School Alumni Center, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
The community is invited join SAISD staff and past and present School Board members in expressing appreciation to the outgoing District 5 Trustee for his years of service to SAISD. Longtime Board member Thomas C. López chose not to seek re-election when his current term expired this month.
May 31 (Tues) — School Board meeting
6 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
June 2 (Thurs) — Adopt-a-School charter signing ceremony
8:30 a.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
The signing will formalize a partnership between Fort Sam Houston which will include mentoring for students at this East Side campus.
June 2 (Thurs) — ‘Vegetable Extravaganza’ press conference
10 a.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
Representatives from the Texas AgriLife Extension Service - who have assisted in growing a children’s garden and providing support to encourage healthy eating and living – will bring a wide variety of vegetables for students to sample. Their efforts are part of a $13,000 grant Washington received earlier this year from the Texas Department of Health Services to develop a health and nutrition program for students, parents and the community to serve as a regional model to help prevent obesity. District 120 State Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon is scheduled to attend to show her support.
June 2 (Thurs) — Gamma Sigma Girls Closing Ceremony
6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Jefferson High School auditorium, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The ceremony will celebrate the successful completion of the group’s first year. Last fall SAISD was selected as a national pilot for Gamma Sigma Girls through a partnership with the Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas. Inaugural members are 261 young women - about 25 from all 10 District high schools.
June 3 (Fri) — Radio Disney wellness visits
Representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will present health and fitness tips at:
● 9 to 9:45 a.m. – Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St.
● 2 to 2:25 p.m. – Madison Elementary School, 2900 W. Woodlawn Ave.
June 3 (Fri) — Visit from the Castro twins
10:30 a.m. at Wilson Elementary School, 1421 Clower St.
Mayor Julián Castro and his brother, District 125 State Rep. Joaquin Castro, will be featured speakers at the 5th-grade awards ceremony where they will address students and parents on the school’s theme “Shoot for the Stars.”
June 4 (Sat) — Bilingual Literacy & Community Outreach Conference
8 a.m.to 1 p.m. at Rhodes Middle School, 3000 Tampico St.
The community is invited to attend this event targeted for pre-kinder through 12th-grade teachers, parents and families Award-winning children’s author Diane Gonzales Bertrand will provide storytelling tips, and there will be book giveaways for families. Workshops will be designed for both parents and educators. The conference is sponsored by the San Antonio Alliance, American Federation of Teachers and National Council of La Raza.
--- SAISD ---
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony