Coming Attractions May 27, 2011
May 30 (Mon) — Memorial Day
All SAISD schools and most departments will be closed.
May 31 (Tues) — Memorial tree planting ceremony
8:30 a.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St.
Students, staff and parents will celebrate the life and memory of Martha Martinez by planting a tree in her honor in the school’s courtyard. The 1st- and 2nd-grade dual language teacher – who passed away earlier this year – had taught five years for SAISD.
May 31 (Tues) — College preview
9:45 to 11:45 a.m. at the St. Philip’s College Southwest Campus, 800 Quintana Road
SAISD’s Page Middle School students will explore their future higher education options, as well engage in discussions on life-long skills such as punctuality, problem solving, decision making, teamwork, critical thinking, treating colleagues and customers with respect, and work ethic. Attendees are participants in the GAMER (Giving Americans Motivational Education for the Real World) program.
May 31 (Tues) — Reception for Thomas C. López
4:45 to 6 p.m. at Lanier High School Alumni Center, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
The community is invited join SAISD staff and past and present School Board members in expressing appreciation to the outgoing District 5 Trustee for his years of service to SAISD. Longtime Board member Thomas C. López chose not to seek re-election when his current term expired this month.
May 31 (Tues) — School Board meeting
6 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
June 2 (Thurs) — Adopt-a-School charter signing ceremony
8:30 a.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
The signing will formalize a partnership between Fort Sam Houston which will include mentoring for students at this East Side campus.
June 2 (Thurs) — ‘Vegetable Extravaganza’ press conference
10 a.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
Representatives from the Texas AgriLife Extension Service - who have assisted in growing a children’s garden and providing support to encourage healthy eating and living – will bring a wide variety of vegetables for students to sample. Their efforts are part of a $13,000 grant Washington received earlier this year from the Texas Department of Health Services to develop a health and nutrition program for students, parents and the community to serve as a regional model to help prevent obesity. District 120 State Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon is scheduled to attend to show her support.
June 2 (Thurs) — Gamma Sigma Girls Closing Ceremony
6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Jefferson High School auditorium, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The ceremony will celebrate the successful completion of the group’s first year. Last fall SAISD was selected as a national pilot for Gamma Sigma Girls through a partnership with the Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas. Inaugural members are 261 young women - about 25 from all 10 District high schools.
June 3 (Fri) — Radio Disney wellness visits
Representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will present health and fitness tips at:
● 9 to 9:45 a.m. – Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St.
● 2 to 2:25 p.m. – Madison Elementary School, 2900 W. Woodlawn Ave.
June 3 (Fri) — Visit from the Castro twins
10:30 a.m. at Wilson Elementary School, 1421 Clower St.
Mayor Julián Castro and his brother, District 125 State Rep. Joaquin Castro, will be featured speakers at the 5th-grade awards ceremony where they will address students and parents on the school’s theme “Shoot for the Stars.”
June 4 (Sat) — Bilingual Literacy & Community Outreach Conference
8 a.m.to 1 p.m. at Rhodes Middle School, 3000 Tampico St.
The community is invited to attend this event targeted for pre-kinder through 12th-grade teachers, parents and families Award-winning children’s author Diane Gonzales Bertrand will provide storytelling tips, and there will be book giveaways for families. Workshops will be designed for both parents and educators. The conference is sponsored by the San Antonio Alliance, American Federation of Teachers and National Council of La Raza.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14