Coming Attractions July 1, 2011
July 1, 2011
July 2 (Sat) — SAISD architecture students to assist ‘SA Makings’ family workshop
10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Architecture Foundation of San Antonio, 200 E. Grayson St., Suite 100
Participants can prepare for their Independence Day celebrations through patriotic projects facilitated by aspiring architects from Jefferson High School. Activities will include creating paper renditions of Old Glory and using origami to build Statue of Liberty replicas.
July 4-8 — Fourth of July Holiday
Most SAISD offices will be closed this week.
July 5 and 6 — Solar Robot Camp
9 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. at the Mission Verde Center at Cooper Academy, 1700 Tampico St.
July 7 (Thurs) – Solar Robot Camp Race Day and media event
10 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. at the Mission Verde Center at Cooper Academy, 1700 Tampico St.
Seventy-five SAISD 4th- and 5th-graders who have been learning how solar power works through hands-on projects will spend the first part of the week building their robots and conducting experiments. Thursday will provide an opportunity to show them off through indoor and – weather permitting – outdoor races. The media is invited to attend between 11 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. Camp sponsors are Alamo Colleges and SA Youth.
July 5-7 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Travis Early College High School, 1915 N. Main Ave.
This will be the only site open this week serving free breakfast and lunch to anyone 18 years old and younger, as part of the federally-funded nutrition program for districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year. The regular Seamless Summer Nutrition Program will resume Monday, July 11.
July 12-13 — Ready, Set ….Bond community meetings
6 p.m. at the locations listed below
Patrons are invited to provide input to architects for master-planning efforts for the schools. These are among community meetings being held Districtwide for SAISD Bond 2010 projects now that the design phase is under way
● July 12 (Tues) - at Fenwick Elementary School, 1930 Waverly Ave.
● July 12 (Tues) - at Cotton Elementary School, 1616 Blanco Road
● July 13 (Wed) - at Cameron Elementary School, 3635 Belgium Lane
● July 13 (Wed) - at Arnold Elementary School, 467 Freiling Drive
--- SAISD ---
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history