Coming Attractions July 29, 2011
Aug. 4 (Thurs) — Community meeting and Alamo Stadium tour
6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
The public is invited to meet the architectural team selected for the renovations of the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, learn more about the project and provide input about various external site factors, such as parking, landscaping, and traffic. This will be the first in a series of design meetings scheduled throughout the renovation of these structures through SAISD Bond 2010.
Aug. 1-5 – Excellent science adventures
9 to approximately 11:30 a.m. at the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center, 10750 Pleasanton Road
Noon to 3 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
While communing with nature at this 1,200-acre haven for a wide variety of birds, butterflies and other critters, 6th-graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy will apply core scientific principles to determine what makes the ecology of South Central Texas unique. Back at their home campus, they will conduct a variety of lab experiments and engage in other activities to culminate each day’s learning experience. Assuming individual responsibility for taking care of the environment through recycling, composting and saving water also will be a key component of their studies.
Aug. 1-5 — Botanical Gardens Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, 555 Funston Place
Young Women’s Leadership Academy 8th-graders will study basic biological processes and concepts through a series of hands-on investigations, field lessons, and guest expert presentations.
Ongoing thru Aug. 5 — Summer recreation
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 12 SAISD schools
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department’s Summer Youth Program.
Ongoing thru Aug. 5 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Baskin Elementary School, 630 Crestview Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 — SA Youth summer programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students from 11 SAISD schools are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture and arts, camping, swimming and other fun activities through SA Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 —Summer recreation
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.; and Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens are offered in partnership with the San Antonio Youth Centers.
Ongoing thru Aug. 19 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony