Coming Attractions July 29, 2011
July 29, 2011
Aug. 4 (Thurs) — Community meeting and Alamo Stadium tour
6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
The public is invited to meet the architectural team selected for the renovations of the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, learn more about the project and provide input about various external site factors, such as parking, landscaping, and traffic. This will be the first in a series of design meetings scheduled throughout the renovation of these structures through SAISD Bond 2010.
Summer programs for students *These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Aug. 1-5 – Excellent science adventures
9 to approximately 11:30 a.m. at the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center, 10750 Pleasanton Road
Noon to 3 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
While communing with nature at this 1,200-acre haven for a wide variety of birds, butterflies and other critters, 6th-graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy will apply core scientific principles to determine what makes the ecology of South Central Texas unique. Back at their home campus, they will conduct a variety of lab experiments and engage in other activities to culminate each day’s learning experience. Assuming individual responsibility for taking care of the environment through recycling, composting and saving water also will be a key component of their studies.
Aug. 1-5 — Botanical Gardens Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, 555 Funston Place
Young Women’s Leadership Academy 8th-graders will study basic biological processes and concepts through a series of hands-on investigations, field lessons, and guest expert presentations.
Ongoing thru Aug. 5 — Summer recreation
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 12 SAISD schools
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department’s Summer Youth Program.
Ongoing thru Aug. 5 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Baskin Elementary School, 630 Crestview Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 — SA Youth summer programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students from 11 SAISD schools are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture and arts, camping, swimming and other fun activities through SA Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 —Summer recreation
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.; and Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens are offered in partnership with the San Antonio Youth Centers.
Ongoing thru Aug. 19 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
--- SAISD ---
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks