Coming Attractions July 29, 2011
Aug. 4 (Thurs) — Community meeting and Alamo Stadium tour
6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
The public is invited to meet the architectural team selected for the renovations of the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, learn more about the project and provide input about various external site factors, such as parking, landscaping, and traffic. This will be the first in a series of design meetings scheduled throughout the renovation of these structures through SAISD Bond 2010.
Aug. 1-5 – Excellent science adventures
9 to approximately 11:30 a.m. at the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center, 10750 Pleasanton Road
Noon to 3 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
While communing with nature at this 1,200-acre haven for a wide variety of birds, butterflies and other critters, 6th-graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy will apply core scientific principles to determine what makes the ecology of South Central Texas unique. Back at their home campus, they will conduct a variety of lab experiments and engage in other activities to culminate each day’s learning experience. Assuming individual responsibility for taking care of the environment through recycling, composting and saving water also will be a key component of their studies.
Aug. 1-5 — Botanical Gardens Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, 555 Funston Place
Young Women’s Leadership Academy 8th-graders will study basic biological processes and concepts through a series of hands-on investigations, field lessons, and guest expert presentations.
Ongoing thru Aug. 5 — Summer recreation
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 12 SAISD schools
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department’s Summer Youth Program.
Ongoing thru Aug. 5 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Baskin Elementary School, 630 Crestview Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 — SA Youth summer programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students from 11 SAISD schools are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture and arts, camping, swimming and other fun activities through SA Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 —Summer recreation
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.; and Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens are offered in partnership with the San Antonio Youth Centers.
Ongoing thru Aug. 19 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day