Coming Attractions August 5, 2011
Aug. 9-12 — Registration for 2011-12 school year
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at all SAISD schools
8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Aug. 10 (Wed) ONLY at all SAISD schools
All new and returning students to the District need to register at the school they will attend. Wednesday’s registration time will be extended into the evening for the convenience of parents who work during regular business hours. The first day of classes for all SAISD students is Monday, Aug. 22.
Ongoing while space is available — Head Start and pre-kinder programs registration
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Early Childhood Education Center main office, 463 Holmgreen Road, building E
Applications are being accepted for the federally-funded Head Start and the District’s acclaimed pre-kindergarten programs. To qualify, children must be 3 or 4 on or before Sept. 1, and also meet other criteria including need. For more information call 554-2410 or visit www.saisd.net.
Aug. 10 (Wed) — Promise Neighborhood visit
Approximately 10:15 a.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
While in town for the National Conference of State Legislators, Summit lawmakers, as well as SAISD and other local leaders, will tour Promise Neighborhood sites, including this East Side campus. As one of the beneficiaries, Wheatley hosted last fall’s announcement that San Antonio was selected for a $312,000 Promise Neighborhood Project federal education grant. The focus is on the connection between school and neighborhood revitalization, and SAISD’s role is in partnership with six other local entities. In addition to Wheatley, the District’s other beneficiary campuses are Bowden, Pershing, and Washington elementaries, Sam Houston High School and the Tynan Early Childhood Education Center.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Aug. 8-12 — Summer camps
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Students at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school are getting a jumpstart on the new school year through learning opportunities including:
● Analytical Writing and Poetry Camp - Incoming sophomores will incorporate debate, real world topics, and the creation of Mad Libs, and recipe and guidebooks to preview their upcoming English and language composition course.
● Crime Scene Investigation Camp - Incoming 9th-graders will explore forensic science by using the latest investigation techniques, science and technology to solve a mystery. The camp includes a Wednesday afternoon field trip to the San Antonio Police Training Academy.
● Girls Inc. and Girl Scouts Summer Camp - Incoming 6th-graders will work in partnership with Valero, H-E-B, and CPS Energy, and use the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) program to help them learn about healthy living and the environment.
● NASA Space Camp - Working in teams, incoming 7th-graders will demonstrate an understanding of the engineering design process through activities including: building and launching a satellite; designing a lunar buggy: constructing and launching paper rockets and helicopters; and creating hovercrafts to investigate forces.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 — SA Youth summer programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students from 11 SAISD schools are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture and arts, camping, swimming and other fun activities through SA Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 12 —Summer recreation
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.; and Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens are offered in partnership with the San Antonio Youth Centers.
Ongoing thru Aug. 19 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony