Coming Attractions August 12, 2011
August 12, 2011
Aug. 15 (Mon) — Annual SAISD Council of PTA Membership Drive Kickoff
4 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
In anticipation of the upcoming school year, SAISD student cheerleaders will lead a pep rally encouraging parents, employees and other community members to support the nation’s largest parent-teacher organization.
Aug. 15 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. in the Board Room, 141 Lavaca
Aug. 15-19 — Geek Squad summer technology training
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
About 100 incoming 6th-graders and students at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school who have never taken this course will learn all about computers from the inside out. Training sessions will include building a computer, Web design, creating digital music through use of electronic instruments and computer-based recording software, and basic network troubleshooting skills. Funding, supplies and training will be supplied by Best Buy Inc.
Aug. 18 (Thurs) — After-School Challenge registration
3 to 7 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
Parents whose children attend the 63 academies, elementaries and middle schools participating in the After-School Challenge program may register them for a wide variety of fun learning opportunities available at the end of the school day. For more information visit: www.saisd.net.
Aug. 18 (Thurs) — Meet and Greet Night
6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Students and their parents will have the opportunity to become acquainted with teachers in preparation of the upcoming school year.
Aug. 18 (Thurs) — SAISD summer graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Twelfth-graders Districtwide who completed graduation requirements by attending summer school will be presented their diplomas.
Aug. 19 (Fri) — School supply donation
10 a.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
The Dignowity Hill Education Leadership Program, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation and the SA YES Foundation, are providing 550 backpacks as well as various other school supplies to students at this East Side school. Funding for the backpacks was provided through TxDOT’s “Click it or Ticket” initiative promoting the importance of wearing seat belts. The Education Leadership Program - formed by the Dignowity Hill Neighborhood Association – comprises area residents, community leaders and volunteers united in support of student success.
Aug. 19 (Fri) — Ice cream social
7:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Preceding this annual back-to-school extravaganza will be beverages, barbecue plates and other edibles sold starting at 5 p.m. by the school’s booster clubs. Free ice cream courtesy of Oak Farms Dairy will be served. Entertainment provided by student groups will follow on TJHS Pony Field.
Ongoing thru Aug. 19 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
--- SAISD ---
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks