Coming Attractions August 19, 2011
Aug. 22 (Mon) — First day of school
Among the special activities to welcome in the new school year will be:
● 6:45 to 8 a.m. at J. T. Brackenridge Elementary, 1214 Guadalupe St.
Small flower pots and a poem on the importance of parents and teachers working together to ensure that students blossom will be handed out curbside by principal Patricia Ortiz.
● 8 to 8:45 a.m. at Davis Middle School, 4702 E. Houston St.
A “New Day at Davis” will dawn with principal Anita O’Neal and her staff welcoming students and parents – as well as community members, business leaders and support organizations – and encouraging them to share excitement over new initiatives this year. In addition to the new theme, these include the debut of a STEM lab, the first of 11 to be built in District middle schools. Through these high-tech laboratories funded by SAISD Bond 2010, students will be afforded in-depth looks at careers in science, technology, engineering and math.
● 8:05 a.m. at Cameron Elementary, 3635 Belgium Lane
This year’s theme “Shining Stars” will be exemplified flash mob-style by principal Carolyn McClure and her faculty who will dance simultaneously to the music of Earth, Wind & Fire.
● 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd. (formerly Durango Boulevard)
Superintendent Robert J. Durón will welcome a new science teacher to the District by visiting his classroom.
Aug. 23-24 — School supplies donations
Volunteers from the San Antonio YES Foundation will help all kinder through 5th-graders get off to a successful start for the new school year. Donations will be presented:
● Aug. 23 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Ball Elementary, 343 Koehler Court
● Aug. 23 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Bowden Elementary, 515 Willow St.
● Aug. 23 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Hirsch Elementary, 4826 Sea Breeze Drive
● Aug. 23 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Foster Elementary, 6718 Pecan Valley Drive
● Aug. 23 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Japhet Elementary, 314 Astor St.
● Aug. 23 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Miller Elementary, 207 Lincolnshire Drive
● Aug. 24 (Wed) - 8:45 a.m. at J.T. Brackenridge Elementary, 1214 Guadalupe St.
● Aug. 24 (Wed) - 8:45 a.m. at Storm Elementary School, 435 Brady Blvd.
● Aug. 24 (Wed) - 10 a.m. at Brewer Elementary School, 906 Merida St.
Aug. 26 (Fri) — Frost Bank sponsors tailgate party
6:15 to 7:15 p.m. at the west gate entrance of Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta Drive
Frost Bank representatives will show their support by serving up Kiolbassa Sausage and financial information from a tent set up for the start of the Sam Houston High School Hurricanes football season. This will be the first of two gridiron tailgate parties Frost is sponsoring in SAISD to honor schools participating in their bank academy program to teach teens about fiscal responsibility.
Aug. 27 (Sat) — Parent Financial and Education Camp kickoff
10 a.m. to noon at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
A $10,000 Federal Credit Union grant will fund ongoing opportunities for parents to learn how they can help support their child’s education including preparing for college. Backpacks will be given to attendees and H-E-B and Walmart gift cards offered as door prizes. In addition to educational awareness sessions to be held for parents throughout the year, Federal Credit Union representatives will meet monthly with students to provide savings and banking information.
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history