Coming Attractions August 26, 2011
Aug. 27 (Sat) — Third Annual Historic Homeowner Fair
9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Homeowners will have the opportunity to meet with preservation experts, knowledgeable tradesmen and city departments to learn about maintaining, caring for, landscaping and how to learn the history of their historic houses. Activities for school-age children will be hosted by Jefferson High School architecture students and tours of the historic SAISD campus also will be offered during the event.
Aug. 27 (Sat) — Parent Financial and Education Camp kickoff
10 a.m. to noon at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
A $10,000 Federal Credit Union grant will fund ongoing opportunities for parents to learn how they can help support their child’s education including preparing for college. Backpacks will be given to attendees and H-E-B and Walmart gift cards offered as door prizes. In addition to educational awareness sessions to be held for parents throughout the year, Federal Credit Union representatives will meet monthly with students to provide savings and banking information.
Aug. 29 (Mon) — Budget and tax rate public hearing and School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
The public is invited to a discussion on the proposed $470 million budget and $1.3076 per $100 valuation tax rate for 2011-12. Following the public hearing, Trustees are scheduled to take action on both.
Aug. 30 (Tues) — Mentorship announcement
10 a.m. at the Davis Middle School library, 4702 E. Houston St.
Thanks to a $12,000 grant from Flint Hills Resources, Big Brothers Big Sisters will be able to expand its mentoring program into Davis Middle School and nearby W.W. White Elementary. Twelve volunteers from Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi fraternities will serve as mentors as part of the BBBS African-American Mentoring Initiative Advisory Council.
Sept. 1 (Thurs) — ‘Excellence in Education’ news conference
10 a.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
Carri Baker Wells, SAISD Foundation chairman, will announce that educators from nearly 30 District schools and departments will receive a total of more than $88,000 in grants. This is one of the largest amounts ever given since the foundation was formed in 2007 to fund innovative instructional activities to benefit the largest number of SAISD students possible. Following the news conference, the winning educators will be notified through surprise visits to their classrooms and offices.
Sept. 2 (Fri) — Bully-free Zone rally
2 p.m. at Madison Elementary School, 2800 W. Woodlawn Ave.
All students will pledge to do their part to prevent bullying at their school.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation