Coming Attractions September 2, 2011
Sept. 5 (Mon) — Labor Day holiday
All schools and most offices will be closed.
Sept. 6-8 — Ready, Set ….Bond community meetings
Patrons are invited to continue providing input to architects for master-planning efforts, as well as learn about the latest updates and begin discussions on the look and feel of their schools. The second in a series of community meetings for all 23 schools getting major renovations through SAISD Bond 2010 are being held throughout September. Upcoming meetings will be:
● Sept. 6 (Tues) - 6 p.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St.
● Sept. 6 (Tues) - 6 p.m. at Cotton Elementary School, 1616 Blanco Road
● Sept. 7 (Wed) - 6 p.m. at Woodlawn Elementary School, 1717 W. Magnolia Ave.
● Sept. 7 (Wed) - 6 p.m. at Rogers Elementary School, 620 McIlvaine St.
● Sept. 8 (Thurs) - 6 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Sept. 9 (Fri) — Ceremony in observance of the 9/11 10-year anniversary
8:30 a.m. at Sarah King Elementary School, 1001 Ceralvo St.
Students holding small flags will gather around the flagpole to join others throughout the world in honoring the lives of those lost through terrorism on Sept. 11, 2001. After the flag is lowered to half staff, students will sing patriotic songs, pause for a nationwide moment of silence at 8:46 a.m. and then present thank you letters to firefighters invited to attend the ceremony.
Sept. 9 (Fri) — Frost Bank sponsors tailgate party
6:15 to 7:15 p.m. at the west gate entrance of Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta Drive
Frost Bank representatives will show their support by serving up Kiolbassa Sausage, hot dogs, iced tea and financial information from a tent set up for the Highlands High School Owls’ first home game of the 2011football season. This will be the second of two gridiron tailgate parties Frost is sponsoring in SAISD to honor schools participating in their bank academy program to teach teens about fiscal responsibility.
Sept. 10 (Sat) — SAISD Fall Bilingual Symposium
7 a.m. to 12:35 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Keynote speaker will be University of Texas at Austin associate professor Dr. Sylvia Linan-Thompson. Each year these symposiums are held for SAISD Bilingual/English as a Second Language educators.
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history