Coming Attractions September 16, 2011
Sept. 17 (Sat) — SAISD students join Avenida Guadalupe Association’s 16 de septiembre parade
10 a.m. starting at the intersection of Zarzamora and San Fernando streets
The Lanier High School marching band and the Austin Academy Mariachi Los Tigres will be among the featured performers at this annual parade celebrating Mexico’s independence from Spain.
Sept. 17 (Sat) — Jefferson High School students PARK(ing) Day participation continues
10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Pearl, 200 E. Grayson St.
On Friday, the Jefferson High School team of aspiring architects transformed an ordinary parking space into a Paris park through the addition plants and a 42-inch basswood replica of the Eiffel Tower they created. Students will return on Saturday to hand out fliers and answer questions about Jefferson’s Architectural & Environmental Magnet program, which was the only high school invited to participate. Their team was among 10 including businesses at the Pearl to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into public parks and other social spaces, Since its 2005 origin in San Francisco, PARK(ing) Day has grown into a worldwide movement to challenge people to rethink the way streets are used.
Sept. 20-22 — Ready, Set ….Bond community meetings
Patrons are invited to continue providing input to architects for master-planning efforts, as well as learn about the latest updates, and to begin discussions on the look and feel of their schools. This is the second in a series of meetings on SAISD Bond 2010. Upcoming gatherings will be held:
● Sept. 20 (Tues)-6 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Sept. 20 (Tues)-6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 20 (Tues)-6 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Sept. 21 (Wed)-6 p.m. at Longfellow Middle High School, 1130 E. Sunshine Drive
● Sept. 21 (Wed)-6 p.m. at Hillcrest Elementary School, 211 W. Malone Ave.
● Sept. 21 (Wed)-6 p.m. at Sarah King Elementary School, 1001 Ceralvo St.
● Sept. 22 (Thurs)-6 p.m. at Riverside Park Elementary School, 202 School St.
● Sept. 22 (Thurs)-6 p.m. at Ogden Elementary School, 2215 Leal St.
Sept. 22 (Thurs) — National Clean Hands Week observance
9:10 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. at Gates Elementary School, 510 Morningview Drive
Mascots Henry the Hand and H-E-B’s H-E-Buddy will lead children in singing and other fun activities to promote the importance of preventing the spread of germs through hand washing. The grocery chain will provide treats, and participants also will receive Kleenhanz sanitizing wipes, which is hosting the program in partnership with the Clean Hands Coalition. This daylong event for kinder through 5th-graders will take place during each PE class.
Sept. 23 (Fri) — Radio Disney presents Healthy Living Around the Clock
2 p.m. at Highland Hills Elementary School, 734 Glamis Ave.
Representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will provide students with health and fitness tips.
Sept. 25 (Sun) — SAISD students to perform with UTSA’s Lyric Opera
3 p.m. at the Buena Vista Theatre, One UTSA Circle
Youngsters from the District’s Graebner Elementary School will take the stage with the University of Texas at San Antonio’s Lyric Opera for a production of “Navarro.” Penned by San Antonians Jim Balentine and Joe Labatt, the children’s opera was inspired by Marj Gurasich’s book “Benito and the White Dove” which details the life and accomplishments of José Antonio Navarro – a 19th-century champion for Texas independence -,as seen through the eyes of a young boy. First-graders will portray animals while 4th-graders will lend their singing talents to the production. Graebner was the only school invited to perform.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14