Coming Attractions September 16, 2011
Sept. 17 (Sat) — SAISD students join Avenida Guadalupe Association’s 16 de septiembre parade
10 a.m. starting at the intersection of Zarzamora and San Fernando streets
The Lanier High School marching band and the Austin Academy Mariachi Los Tigres will be among the featured performers at this annual parade celebrating Mexico’s independence from Spain.
Sept. 17 (Sat) — Jefferson High School students PARK(ing) Day participation continues
10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Pearl, 200 E. Grayson St.
On Friday, the Jefferson High School team of aspiring architects transformed an ordinary parking space into a Paris park through the addition plants and a 42-inch basswood replica of the Eiffel Tower they created. Students will return on Saturday to hand out fliers and answer questions about Jefferson’s Architectural & Environmental Magnet program, which was the only high school invited to participate. Their team was among 10 including businesses at the Pearl to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into public parks and other social spaces, Since its 2005 origin in San Francisco, PARK(ing) Day has grown into a worldwide movement to challenge people to rethink the way streets are used.
Sept. 20-22 — Ready, Set ….Bond community meetings
Patrons are invited to continue providing input to architects for master-planning efforts, as well as learn about the latest updates, and to begin discussions on the look and feel of their schools. This is the second in a series of meetings on SAISD Bond 2010. Upcoming gatherings will be held:
● Sept. 20 (Tues)-6 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Sept. 20 (Tues)-6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 20 (Tues)-6 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Sept. 21 (Wed)-6 p.m. at Longfellow Middle High School, 1130 E. Sunshine Drive
● Sept. 21 (Wed)-6 p.m. at Hillcrest Elementary School, 211 W. Malone Ave.
● Sept. 21 (Wed)-6 p.m. at Sarah King Elementary School, 1001 Ceralvo St.
● Sept. 22 (Thurs)-6 p.m. at Riverside Park Elementary School, 202 School St.
● Sept. 22 (Thurs)-6 p.m. at Ogden Elementary School, 2215 Leal St.
Sept. 22 (Thurs) — National Clean Hands Week observance
9:10 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. at Gates Elementary School, 510 Morningview Drive
Mascots Henry the Hand and H-E-B’s H-E-Buddy will lead children in singing and other fun activities to promote the importance of preventing the spread of germs through hand washing. The grocery chain will provide treats, and participants also will receive Kleenhanz sanitizing wipes, which is hosting the program in partnership with the Clean Hands Coalition. This daylong event for kinder through 5th-graders will take place during each PE class.
Sept. 23 (Fri) — Radio Disney presents Healthy Living Around the Clock
2 p.m. at Highland Hills Elementary School, 734 Glamis Ave.
Representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will provide students with health and fitness tips.
Sept. 25 (Sun) — SAISD students to perform with UTSA’s Lyric Opera
3 p.m. at the Buena Vista Theatre, One UTSA Circle
Youngsters from the District’s Graebner Elementary School will take the stage with the University of Texas at San Antonio’s Lyric Opera for a production of “Navarro.” Penned by San Antonians Jim Balentine and Joe Labatt, the children’s opera was inspired by Marj Gurasich’s book “Benito and the White Dove” which details the life and accomplishments of José Antonio Navarro – a 19th-century champion for Texas independence -,as seen through the eyes of a young boy. First-graders will portray animals while 4th-graders will lend their singing talents to the production. Graebner was the only school invited to perform.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School