Coming Attractions October 7, 2011
Oct. 8 (Sat) — SAISD students to participate in ‘Chalk It Up’ annual street art festival
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Houston Street between Main Avenue and Jefferson Street
Every autumn concrete is their canvas when youngsters from throughout San Antonio – including those from seven SAISD’s schools - join professional artists in adorning a prime downtown thoroughfare in chalk. The performing and culinary arts also will be featured through music, and food and refreshment booths. This annual celebration of creativity is presented by Artpace San Antonio along with numerous business and civic partners.
Oct. 8 (Sat) — ‘Estilo Street’ to feature SAISD’s T.J. Fashionista
10 p.m. at the Guadalupe Cultural Arts District, Brazos and Guadalupe streets
Again this year the work of student designers from SAISD’s Jefferson High School and their teacher Sandra Starr will be modeled during the “Estilo Street — Runway En La Calle” fashion show. The program is part of the evening’s “Una Noche de la Gloria” festivities. In addition to fashion design, the annual event also showcases West Side artists, musicians, filmmakers, and writers.
Oct. 9 (Sun) — T.J. Fashionista’s designs in ‘Go Green’ fashion show
3 p.m. at the Pearl, 200 E. Grayson St.
On the runway will be environmentally-friendly clothing including those created by students from SAISD’s Jefferson High School. A variety of recycled materials have been incorporated into their designs including milk cartons, soda cans, corn husks, paper towel rolls, crepe paper, Q-tips and more. This event in observance of SA Fashion Week will take place during the Pearl’s Taste of San Antonio festival.
Oct. 11 (Tues) — Annual SAISD Parent Summit
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Wonderland of the Americas Mall’s Norris Conference Center, 4522 Fredericksburg Road
The keynote address will be delivered by educational trainer Aric Bostick. This year’s theme is Students, Parents & Teachers Together Achieving Academic Results. Topic sessions will focus on ways parents can help their children be successful students and prepare for higher education. Sponsor for this annual event is SAISD’s Community and Parent Partners Department.
Oct. 12 (Wed) — On Track to Good Health celebration
6 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
The community is invited to join students, staff and District leaders in celebrating completion of the school’s new six-lane, all-weather track. Festivities will include a parade around the tracks featuring students representing the 10 Edison feeder schools and the Golden Bear Marching Band. Edison’s new tracks are among those at four District high schools completed this fall. Replacement of the old cinder tracks at the other four high schools is in the process of being scheduled
Oct. 14 (Fri) — Greek Day
2 p.m. at the Pickett Academy, 1931 E. Houston St.
The expression “It’s Greek to me” will have a personal meaning for students as they bring this ancient country’s culture, art, cuisine and traditional apparel to life. Costumes will be provided by the San Antonio Museum of Art, entertainment including dancing and a Greek play by theater students and food prepared by students and teachers. This celebration encompassing all subject areas – English, math, science, social studies, the arts and theater arts – is part of ongoing lessons to help students understand and appreciate cultures worldwide.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony