Coming Attractions October 7, 2011
Oct. 8 (Sat) — SAISD students to participate in ‘Chalk It Up’ annual street art festival
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Houston Street between Main Avenue and Jefferson Street
Every autumn concrete is their canvas when youngsters from throughout San Antonio – including those from seven SAISD’s schools - join professional artists in adorning a prime downtown thoroughfare in chalk. The performing and culinary arts also will be featured through music, and food and refreshment booths. This annual celebration of creativity is presented by Artpace San Antonio along with numerous business and civic partners.
Oct. 8 (Sat) — ‘Estilo Street’ to feature SAISD’s T.J. Fashionista
10 p.m. at the Guadalupe Cultural Arts District, Brazos and Guadalupe streets
Again this year the work of student designers from SAISD’s Jefferson High School and their teacher Sandra Starr will be modeled during the “Estilo Street — Runway En La Calle” fashion show. The program is part of the evening’s “Una Noche de la Gloria” festivities. In addition to fashion design, the annual event also showcases West Side artists, musicians, filmmakers, and writers.
Oct. 9 (Sun) — T.J. Fashionista’s designs in ‘Go Green’ fashion show
3 p.m. at the Pearl, 200 E. Grayson St.
On the runway will be environmentally-friendly clothing including those created by students from SAISD’s Jefferson High School. A variety of recycled materials have been incorporated into their designs including milk cartons, soda cans, corn husks, paper towel rolls, crepe paper, Q-tips and more. This event in observance of SA Fashion Week will take place during the Pearl’s Taste of San Antonio festival.
Oct. 11 (Tues) — Annual SAISD Parent Summit
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Wonderland of the Americas Mall’s Norris Conference Center, 4522 Fredericksburg Road
The keynote address will be delivered by educational trainer Aric Bostick. This year’s theme is Students, Parents & Teachers Together Achieving Academic Results. Topic sessions will focus on ways parents can help their children be successful students and prepare for higher education. Sponsor for this annual event is SAISD’s Community and Parent Partners Department.
Oct. 12 (Wed) — On Track to Good Health celebration
6 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
The community is invited to join students, staff and District leaders in celebrating completion of the school’s new six-lane, all-weather track. Festivities will include a parade around the tracks featuring students representing the 10 Edison feeder schools and the Golden Bear Marching Band. Edison’s new tracks are among those at four District high schools completed this fall. Replacement of the old cinder tracks at the other four high schools is in the process of being scheduled
Oct. 14 (Fri) — Greek Day
2 p.m. at the Pickett Academy, 1931 E. Houston St.
The expression “It’s Greek to me” will have a personal meaning for students as they bring this ancient country’s culture, art, cuisine and traditional apparel to life. Costumes will be provided by the San Antonio Museum of Art, entertainment including dancing and a Greek play by theater students and food prepared by students and teachers. This celebration encompassing all subject areas – English, math, science, social studies, the arts and theater arts – is part of ongoing lessons to help students understand and appreciate cultures worldwide.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks