Coming Attractions October 21, 2011
Oct. 24-29 — Lasso Alumni fundraiser
11 a.m. to midnight daily at Good Time Charlie’s, 2922 Broadway St.
The restaurant will donate a percentage of sales from food served to patrons dining in support of the Jefferson High School Lasso Dance and Rope Team. Hosting the benefit – which is sponsored by the Lasso Alumni Association - are restaurant owners and Jefferson alums Eddie Ruffo and Millard Stetler. For more information visit www.lassos.org.
Oct. 25 (Tues) — Dig for the Cure
Various times (listed below) at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
SAISD high school volleyball players are joining thousands nationwide in dedicating their games to raising money for breast cancer research. Breast cancer survivors will be recognized preceding the games. All proceeds will benefit the San Antonio Komen Foundation. Featured matches will be:
● 4:30 p.m. – Fox Tech vs. Lanier
● 6 p.m. – Edison vs. Jefferson
● 7:30 p.m. – Brackenridge vs. Burbank
Oct. 25 (Tues) — SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
6:30 p.m. at Whittier Middle School, 2101 Edison Drive
The public is invited to meetings of PTA chapter representatives Districtwide.
Oct. 25-28 — Scary Library Month Lunch & A Movie
11:30 a.m. to noon and 12:21 to 12:51 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
A special lunch pass will entitle students to dine in the library for a screening of the 1931 production of “Frankenstein.” This horror film classic staring Boris Karloff will be shown over the course of three days. The viewing is part of the school’s Scary Library Month observances.
Oct. 25-28 — Red Ribbon Week
Students Districtwide will join others throughout the nation in activities supporting drug-free living. Among them will be:
• Oct. 25 (Tues) – 8:30 a.m. at Nelson Elementary School, 1014 Waverly Ave. During a pep rally, 2nd-grade teacher Elizabeth Castro will be presented a $500 gift card from Kia Motors and the San Antonio Spurs for her award-winning essay on improving the community. She was among 20 area educators to receive funding as part of the Kia Bucks for Teachers program. The celebration will include the Spurs Coyote and Silver Dancers.
• Oct. 25 (Tues) – 1:30 p.m. at Wilson Elementary School, 1421 Clower St. A presentation will be provided by the Code Red Task Force Coalition comprised of representatives from a variety of law enforcement agencies including the Army National Guard, Bexar County Sheriff’s Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Bexar County Sheriff’s Department, San Antonio Police Department and Texas Department of Public Safety.
• Oct. 26 (Wed) – 1:30 p.m. at Douglass Elementary School, 318 Martin Luther King Drive. The Code Red Task Force Coalition will present a program to 3rd through 5th-graders.
• Oct. 28 (Fri) – 1:30 p.m. at Barkley-Ruiz Elementary School, 1111 S. Navidad St. A school parade will feature students attired as their favorite storybook characters.
• Oct. 28 (Fri) – 2:30 p.m. at Douglass Elementary School, 318 Martin Luther King Drive. Dressed in Halloween costumes, students and staff will parade around the school in a boo walk to say no to drugs.
Oct. 26 (Wed) — SAISD College Night 2011
5:30 to 8;30 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
College and university representatives from about 60 schools nationwide will present information on entrance requirements, housing, financial aid, and scholarships.
Oct. 28 (Fri) – Perfect attendance party
2:30 p.m. at Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St.
Students who have not missed a day of school will be treated to a party courtesy of the Martinez Street Women’s Center.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day