Coming Attractions October 28, 2011
Nov. 2-3 — CORE4 College & Career Fair Expo
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 200 E. Market St.
The first day’s keynote address will be provided by SAISD’s own Bernard Harris, a 1974 Sam Houston HS graduate and the first African American to walk in space. Throughout this two-day event 8th-graders (Nov. 2) and 7th-graders (Nov. 3) and their parents will have opportunities to explore higher education options and career opportunities – particularly in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and math. Presenters will include representatives from the Boeing Company, CPS Energy, Rackspace Hosting, Valero, USAA and more. CORE4 is offered in partnership with the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, SAISD and the Edgewood, Harlandale, South San and Southwest ISDs.
Nov. 3 (Thurs) — STOMP performances
1 to 2 p.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
In honor of the school’s high attendance, students will be treated to a production from this high-energy, percussionist dance troupe that uses everyday items as instruments. Performers for this production will use chairs, basketballs, large kitchen pots, spoons and trash bins. Following each production, cast members will be available to answer questions. The school principal arranged for the special event after the school achieved the highest attendance among elementary schools for three consecutive weeks during the month of October. Franklin Elementary School also ranks first in attendance among all SAISD elementaries for the first nine weeks of the school year.
Nov. 3 (Thurs) — First Thursday art opening
6 to 8 p.m. at the King William Association Office, 1032 S. Alamo St.
The exhibit will feature artwork by students from the neighborhood’s Bonham Academy.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Health Fair and Rummage Sale
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Sponsor H-E-B will provide free glucose, blood pressure, weight and height checks and body mass indexes. Low-cost (free for SAISD employees) flu shots and cholesterol screenings also will be offered. Proceeds from the rummage sale will benefit the all-girl school’s PTA.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Family Health and Wellness Fair
11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
A variety of organizations will be available to provide information on healthy living. Fair sponsor is the SAISD Department of Early Childhood Education.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Chile Bowl Gala
5:30 p.m. to midnight at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 200 E. Market St.
The community is invited to join alumni from SAISD’s Fox Tech and Lanier high schools for an evening of festivities including auctions, dinner and dancing. Master of ceremonies will be independent marketing consultant Lionel Sosa, a 1957 Lanier graduate. Other distinguished alumni from both schools also will be honored, with proceeds funding scholarships for their alma maters. The gala was established last year to keep alive the spirit of the beloved Chili Bowl, a 67-year football rivalry that ended in 2009 as part of Tech’s transition into a stand-alone Magnet high school. Tickets are $40 per person. For more information visit www.chilebowl.org .
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14