Coming Attractions October 28, 2011
Nov. 2-3 — CORE4 College & Career Fair Expo
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 200 E. Market St.
The first day’s keynote address will be provided by SAISD’s own Bernard Harris, a 1974 Sam Houston HS graduate and the first African American to walk in space. Throughout this two-day event 8th-graders (Nov. 2) and 7th-graders (Nov. 3) and their parents will have opportunities to explore higher education options and career opportunities – particularly in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and math. Presenters will include representatives from the Boeing Company, CPS Energy, Rackspace Hosting, Valero, USAA and more. CORE4 is offered in partnership with the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, SAISD and the Edgewood, Harlandale, South San and Southwest ISDs.
Nov. 3 (Thurs) — STOMP performances
1 to 2 p.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
In honor of the school’s high attendance, students will be treated to a production from this high-energy, percussionist dance troupe that uses everyday items as instruments. Performers for this production will use chairs, basketballs, large kitchen pots, spoons and trash bins. Following each production, cast members will be available to answer questions. The school principal arranged for the special event after the school achieved the highest attendance among elementary schools for three consecutive weeks during the month of October. Franklin Elementary School also ranks first in attendance among all SAISD elementaries for the first nine weeks of the school year.
Nov. 3 (Thurs) — First Thursday art opening
6 to 8 p.m. at the King William Association Office, 1032 S. Alamo St.
The exhibit will feature artwork by students from the neighborhood’s Bonham Academy.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Health Fair and Rummage Sale
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Sponsor H-E-B will provide free glucose, blood pressure, weight and height checks and body mass indexes. Low-cost (free for SAISD employees) flu shots and cholesterol screenings also will be offered. Proceeds from the rummage sale will benefit the all-girl school’s PTA.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Family Health and Wellness Fair
11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
A variety of organizations will be available to provide information on healthy living. Fair sponsor is the SAISD Department of Early Childhood Education.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Chile Bowl Gala
5:30 p.m. to midnight at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 200 E. Market St.
The community is invited to join alumni from SAISD’s Fox Tech and Lanier high schools for an evening of festivities including auctions, dinner and dancing. Master of ceremonies will be independent marketing consultant Lionel Sosa, a 1957 Lanier graduate. Other distinguished alumni from both schools also will be honored, with proceeds funding scholarships for their alma maters. The gala was established last year to keep alive the spirit of the beloved Chili Bowl, a 67-year football rivalry that ended in 2009 as part of Tech’s transition into a stand-alone Magnet high school. Tickets are $40 per person. For more information visit www.chilebowl.org .
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks