Coming Attractions October 28, 2011
Nov. 2-3 — CORE4 College & Career Fair Expo
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 200 E. Market St.
The first day’s keynote address will be provided by SAISD’s own Bernard Harris, a 1974 Sam Houston HS graduate and the first African American to walk in space. Throughout this two-day event 8th-graders (Nov. 2) and 7th-graders (Nov. 3) and their parents will have opportunities to explore higher education options and career opportunities – particularly in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and math. Presenters will include representatives from the Boeing Company, CPS Energy, Rackspace Hosting, Valero, USAA and more. CORE4 is offered in partnership with the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, SAISD and the Edgewood, Harlandale, South San and Southwest ISDs.
Nov. 3 (Thurs) — STOMP performances
1 to 2 p.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
In honor of the school’s high attendance, students will be treated to a production from this high-energy, percussionist dance troupe that uses everyday items as instruments. Performers for this production will use chairs, basketballs, large kitchen pots, spoons and trash bins. Following each production, cast members will be available to answer questions. The school principal arranged for the special event after the school achieved the highest attendance among elementary schools for three consecutive weeks during the month of October. Franklin Elementary School also ranks first in attendance among all SAISD elementaries for the first nine weeks of the school year.
Nov. 3 (Thurs) — First Thursday art opening
6 to 8 p.m. at the King William Association Office, 1032 S. Alamo St.
The exhibit will feature artwork by students from the neighborhood’s Bonham Academy.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Health Fair and Rummage Sale
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Sponsor H-E-B will provide free glucose, blood pressure, weight and height checks and body mass indexes. Low-cost (free for SAISD employees) flu shots and cholesterol screenings also will be offered. Proceeds from the rummage sale will benefit the all-girl school’s PTA.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Family Health and Wellness Fair
11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
A variety of organizations will be available to provide information on healthy living. Fair sponsor is the SAISD Department of Early Childhood Education.
Nov. 5 (Sat) — Chile Bowl Gala
5:30 p.m. to midnight at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 200 E. Market St.
The community is invited to join alumni from SAISD’s Fox Tech and Lanier high schools for an evening of festivities including auctions, dinner and dancing. Master of ceremonies will be independent marketing consultant Lionel Sosa, a 1957 Lanier graduate. Other distinguished alumni from both schools also will be honored, with proceeds funding scholarships for their alma maters. The gala was established last year to keep alive the spirit of the beloved Chili Bowl, a 67-year football rivalry that ended in 2009 as part of Tech’s transition into a stand-alone Magnet high school. Tickets are $40 per person. For more information visit www.chilebowl.org .
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day