Coming Attractions November 10, 2011
Nov. 11 (Fri) — Veterans Day
All schools and most offices will be closed.
Nov. 14 (Mon) — Anti-bullying pep rally
2 p.m. at Rogers Elementary School, 620 McIlvaine St.
Students will learn about the severity of bullying and how to prevent it.
Nov. 14 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Nov. 15 (Tues) — Bright Lights …Great Paths celebration
5:30 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The community is invited to join students, staff and District leaders in celebrating the school’s new six-lane, all-weather track.
Nov. 16 (Wed) — Anti-bullying rally
Noon at Ball Elementary School, 343 Koehler Court
Highlighting a week’s worth of activities kicking off the school’s “C.C. Ball Teams Up Against Bullying” campaign will be a rally led by the Connell Middle School cheerleaders. Students are encouraged to wear shirts portraying their favorite super heroes for this occasion.
Nov. 17 (Thurs) — International STACK UP!
8:10 to 11:10 a.m. and 12:40 to 2:10 p.m. at Collins Garden Elementary School, 167 Harriman Place
During each P.E. period, students armed with cups will give their right/left brain thinking and coordination skills a workout while attempting to help set a new Guinness world record in the category "Most People Sport Stacking at Multiple Locations in One Day." The event is sponsored by the New Zealand-based World Sport Stacking Association.
Nov. 18 (Fri) — Second-annual Gamma Girls investiture ceremony
11 a.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
In a candlelight pinning ceremony reminiscent of a sorority, 300 teens representing 10 District high schools will join the all-new breed of Girl Scouts for which SAISD was chosen as the national pilot in 2010. Gama Sigma Girls is initiated through the Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas, and part of the national organization’s efforts to make membership more relevant to today’s generation.
Nov. 18 (Fri) — Sixty-year anniversary homecoming celebration
1:30 p.m. at De Zavala Elementary School, 2311 San Luis St.
Alumni and community members are encouraged to attend as this West Side school celebrates 60 years at its current location. Festivities will include a flag football contest between students and staff, with the half time show featuring a 5th-grade dance contest and a performance by the De Zavala Dance Company sponsored by teacher Jodie Siegel. The Lanier High School band also has been invited to perform.
Nov. 18 (Fri) — Mayor’s Poet Laureate contest press conference
2:30 p.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St.
Julián Castro will unveil the city’s new Poet Laureate contest, which is part of the mayor’s SA 2020 effort to turn San Antonio into one of the most vibrant brainpower cities in the nation. Bonham Academy was selected to host the news conference because the King William-area campus boasts the area’s largest number of student poets whose work recently was selected for inclusion in the annual Young Pegasus anthology, sponsored by the San Antonio Library. Seven of them from 2010 and 2011 - some of whom will read their poems – and other local poets will be introduced.
- March 04 20 - March 07 20 Head Start 2014 Application Event
- March 07 20 | 11:00 AM Pre-spring break food drive
- March 07 20 | 03:00 PM Community health fair
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School