Coming Attractions December 16, 2011
Dec. 19 thru Jan. 2 — Winter Break
All schools and most offices will be closed and re-open Tuesday, Jan. 3.
Dec. 20 (Tue) — Presentation by SAISD alum
6 to 7:30 p.m. at Café College, 131 El Paso St.
Edward Garza, a 2009 Fox Tech High School graduate and current United States Military Academy at West Point cadet, will share his experiences and invite high school students to consider a military institution for higher education.
Dec. 20 (Tue) — Fine Arts in Education Coalition executive meeting
6:30 p.m. at Luby's Cafeteria, 911 N. Main Ave.
Coalition members comprise a group of parents, students and music educators who advocate improving all aspects of the fine arts in SAISD.
Jan. 5 (Thurs) — United Way to present Platinum Award
4:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Principal Joanne Cockrell will accept United Way’s prestigious Platinum Award on behalf of her school. Jefferson is the first SAISD school to receive this honor that rewards employee groups whose contributions are equivalent to all employees giving two hour’s pay per month for 12 months.
Jan. 7 (Sat) — SAISD students and coach to participate in U.S. Army All-American Bowl
Noon kickoff at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
The District again will be well represented. Sam Houston High School football coach Gary Green will be Team West’s defensive coordinator, for which his defensive end Javonte Magee will play. Helping to provide entertainment will be Brackenridge High School’s percussionist Fabian Gomez. This is the second consecutive year teens from these two high schools have been chosen for both gridiron and drumline. This annual contest featuring high school all stars will be broadcast locally on NBC-affiliate WOAI-TV.
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history