Coming Attractions December 16, 2011
Dec. 19 thru Jan. 2 — Winter Break
All schools and most offices will be closed and re-open Tuesday, Jan. 3.
Dec. 20 (Tue) — Presentation by SAISD alum
6 to 7:30 p.m. at Café College, 131 El Paso St.
Edward Garza, a 2009 Fox Tech High School graduate and current United States Military Academy at West Point cadet, will share his experiences and invite high school students to consider a military institution for higher education.
Dec. 20 (Tue) — Fine Arts in Education Coalition executive meeting
6:30 p.m. at Luby's Cafeteria, 911 N. Main Ave.
Coalition members comprise a group of parents, students and music educators who advocate improving all aspects of the fine arts in SAISD.
Jan. 5 (Thurs) — United Way to present Platinum Award
4:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Principal Joanne Cockrell will accept United Way’s prestigious Platinum Award on behalf of her school. Jefferson is the first SAISD school to receive this honor that rewards employee groups whose contributions are equivalent to all employees giving two hour’s pay per month for 12 months.
Jan. 7 (Sat) — SAISD students and coach to participate in U.S. Army All-American Bowl
Noon kickoff at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
The District again will be well represented. Sam Houston High School football coach Gary Green will be Team West’s defensive coordinator, for which his defensive end Javonte Magee will play. Helping to provide entertainment will be Brackenridge High School’s percussionist Fabian Gomez. This is the second consecutive year teens from these two high schools have been chosen for both gridiron and drumline. This annual contest featuring high school all stars will be broadcast locally on NBC-affiliate WOAI-TV.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks