Coming Attractions January 6, 2012
Jan. 7 (Sat) — SAISD students and coach to participate in U.S. Army All-American Bowl
Noon kickoff at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
The District again will be well represented. Sam Houston High School football coach Gary Green will be Team West’s defensive coordinator, for which his defensive end Javonte Magee will play. Helping to provide entertainment will be Brackenridge High School’s percussionist Fabian Gomez. This is the second consecutive year teens from these two high schools have been chosen for both gridiron and drumline. This annual contest featuring high school all stars will be broadcast locally on NBC-affiliate WOAI-TV.
Jan. 11 (Wed) — AVID EXPO
6 to 8 p.m. at the Jefferson High School cafeteria, 723 Donaldson Ave
Projects by SAISD Advancement Via Individual Determination program students will showcase their college readiness goals.
Jan. 11-14 — Performance of ‘West Side Story’
7:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
The school’s drama department will present this Broadway musical set in 1950s New York City about a modern day Romeo and Juliet – Tony and Maria – who are members of rival gangs who fall in love. Ticket price is $6 in advance and $8 at the door.
Jan. 14 (Sat) — Greater SA All Stars After-School Challenge Volleyball Tournament
8 a.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Fourth- and 5th-graders representing SAISD’s Beacon Hill, Briscoe, Forbes, Green, Smith and Stewart elementaries will test the volleyball skills they have been learning in their After-School Challenge programs. Boy and girl teams will alternate each quarter, and trophies will be given to those placing first and second. Play will be dedicated to charities the schools are sponsoring including the Alamo Breast Cancer Organization, Ronald McDonald House of Charities, San Antonio Animal Care Service and the St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank, and plaques will be presented to organization representatives. This is the first in a series of tournaments to be held this semester which will include other sports, and is part of the students’ health and nutrition studies.
Jan. 14 (Sat) — MLK Super Saturday
8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Davis Middle School, 4702 E. Houston St.
Students will honor the life of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through learning activities including preparing for the new State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness accountability exam and through fun exhibitions such as dance. The event will be part of the “A New Day at Davis” project funded through a Texas Title 1 Priority Schools grant and sponsors will include the Phi Delta Kappa Sorority and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
Jan. 14 (Sat) — Martin Luther King Jr. 16th Annual Memorial Chess Tournament
10: 30 a.m. (round one) at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St.
Student game board enthusiasts of all grades and levels of chess proficiency from throughout Central and South Texas are invited to compete. The tournament honoring the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is an official MLK weekend event.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day