Coming Attractions January 6, 2012
Jan. 7 (Sat) — SAISD students and coach to participate in U.S. Army All-American Bowl
Noon kickoff at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
The District again will be well represented. Sam Houston High School football coach Gary Green will be Team West’s defensive coordinator, for which his defensive end Javonte Magee will play. Helping to provide entertainment will be Brackenridge High School’s percussionist Fabian Gomez. This is the second consecutive year teens from these two high schools have been chosen for both gridiron and drumline. This annual contest featuring high school all stars will be broadcast locally on NBC-affiliate WOAI-TV.
Jan. 11 (Wed) — AVID EXPO
6 to 8 p.m. at the Jefferson High School cafeteria, 723 Donaldson Ave
Projects by SAISD Advancement Via Individual Determination program students will showcase their college readiness goals.
Jan. 11-14 — Performance of ‘West Side Story’
7:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
The school’s drama department will present this Broadway musical set in 1950s New York City about a modern day Romeo and Juliet – Tony and Maria – who are members of rival gangs who fall in love. Ticket price is $6 in advance and $8 at the door.
Jan. 14 (Sat) — Greater SA All Stars After-School Challenge Volleyball Tournament
8 a.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Fourth- and 5th-graders representing SAISD’s Beacon Hill, Briscoe, Forbes, Green, Smith and Stewart elementaries will test the volleyball skills they have been learning in their After-School Challenge programs. Boy and girl teams will alternate each quarter, and trophies will be given to those placing first and second. Play will be dedicated to charities the schools are sponsoring including the Alamo Breast Cancer Organization, Ronald McDonald House of Charities, San Antonio Animal Care Service and the St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank, and plaques will be presented to organization representatives. This is the first in a series of tournaments to be held this semester which will include other sports, and is part of the students’ health and nutrition studies.
Jan. 14 (Sat) — MLK Super Saturday
8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Davis Middle School, 4702 E. Houston St.
Students will honor the life of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through learning activities including preparing for the new State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness accountability exam and through fun exhibitions such as dance. The event will be part of the “A New Day at Davis” project funded through a Texas Title 1 Priority Schools grant and sponsors will include the Phi Delta Kappa Sorority and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
Jan. 14 (Sat) — Martin Luther King Jr. 16th Annual Memorial Chess Tournament
10: 30 a.m. (round one) at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St.
Student game board enthusiasts of all grades and levels of chess proficiency from throughout Central and South Texas are invited to compete. The tournament honoring the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is an official MLK weekend event.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day