Coming Attractions January 20, 2012
Jan. 21 (Sat) — Social Studies Department Annual Winter Conference for grades K-12
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
This year’s theme will be “Around the World in 180 Minutes.” The annual conference, sponsored by SAISD’s Department of Social Studies, will include half- and full-day sessions focusing on hands-on interactive strategies, literacy and economics.
Jan. 21 (Sat) — SAISD students to present at Mid-Winter Trade and Industrial Vocational Association Conference
1 to 2 p.m. and 4 to 5 p.m. at the Omni Hotel at the Colonnade, 9821 Colonnade Blvd.
Lanier High School’s Criminal Justice and SkillsUSA students have been invited to share two presentations with educators statewide. The first will be their award-winning anti-bullying campaign. Their second - Teach Beyond the "X" – is designed to show teachers how they can help get their students excited about learning. Posters for this event were created by Lanier advertising design students and printed by the school’s print shop.
Jan. 21 (Sat) — Production of ‘The Producers’
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Fine arts students will perform this Mel Brooks classic cult comedy about a down-on-his-luck Broadway producer and his mild-mannered accountant who plan to bilk their backers by deliberately producing a flop. Instead, the show is a smash hit. Ticket price is $5 in advance and $8 at the door.
Jan. 24 (Tues) — Alamo Voks Branch Credit Union grand re-opening (NEW DATE AND TIME)
4:30 to 6 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
Alamo Federal Credit Union representatives will join students and staff in celebrating the partnership that began in 2008 when this branch first opened. Members of the senior class – who were freshmen when the grand opening occurred – created a marketing plan for this event. Materials were printed by Lanier printing students and refreshments will be prepared and served by the school’s culinary arts students. Providing entertainment will be SAISD’s Austin Academy mariachi. The grand re-openings may become an annual event for each senior class. The branch serving students and school staff is operated by juniors and seniors enrolled in Lanier’s Business and Finance Magnet and in the Career and Technology Program.
Jan. 24 (Tues) — SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
9 a.m. at Tafolla Middle School, 1303 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
The public is invited to meetings of PTA chapter representatives Districtwide.
Jan. 26 (Thurs) — Radio Disney presents Healthy Living Around the Clock
1:45 p.m. at Collins Garden Elementary School, 167 Harriman Place
Representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will present health and fitness tips for students.
Jan. 27 (Fri) Radio Disney special visit
2 p.m. at Neal Elementary School, 3407 Capitol Ave.
Students will be treated to a presentations from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 for having the highest number of parents to turn in CHIP/Medicaid applications as part of the District’s 100 Percent Campaign.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 13 20 | 05:30 PM GED graduation ceremony