Coming Attractions January 27, 2012
Jan. 28 (Sat) — UIL competition awards ceremony
2 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Elementary-age students from 20 SAISD schools who placed first, second and third in contests held earlier that day will be honored. The awards ceremony is the only public portion of this University Interscholastic League event. Tested subject areas were art, creative writing, dictionary skills, listening, maps, graphs and charts, music memory, number sense, oral reading, ready writing, storytelling, social studies, Spanish oral reading and spelling.
Jan. 30-31 — Perfect attendance luncheons
Times below, at Collins Garden Elementary School, 167 Harriman Place
Students whose attendance was perfect for the second nine weeks and their parents may dine together in the school gymnasium, which will be decorated in a winter theme for the occasion. Mascots invited to attend include the Burbank High School bulldog and Chips and Salsa, representing Animal Care Services. The mascots were invited in honor of the students’ lessons on caring for animals and safety precautions to take when around them. The luncheons will be:
● Jan. 30 (Mon) – 11:50 a.m. to 1 p.m.
● Jan. 31 (Tues) – 10:45 a.m. to 12:40 p.m.
Feb. 3 (Fri) — SkillsUSA Leadership contest
5 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
Community professionals will judge career technology program students from District 11, which includes schools from throughout Central and South Texas. They will compete in leadership events such as quiz bowl, job interview, prepared speech, customer service and practical math. Student projects also will be on display.
Feb. 4 (Sat) — SkillsUSA awards ceremony
2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
Students who placed first and second in their categories at the Feb. 3 competition for District 11 will be honored. They also will qualify to advance to the state competition to be held in Corpus Christi.
Feb. 4 (Sat) — Student Aid Saturdays
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Teens aspiring to higher education and their parents or guardians will receive free one-on-one help in completing their federal and state financial aid applications. Student Aid Saturdays is a collaborative effort between the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, SA2020, San Antonio Education Partnership, Gen TX-San Antonio and local colleges and universities. The citywide goal is to increase by 5 percent the number of parents and students completing applications for federal and state aid this academic year. This will be the first in a series of Student Aid Saturdays.
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony