Coming Attractions January 27, 2012
Jan. 28 (Sat) — UIL competition awards ceremony
2 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Elementary-age students from 20 SAISD schools who placed first, second and third in contests held earlier that day will be honored. The awards ceremony is the only public portion of this University Interscholastic League event. Tested subject areas were art, creative writing, dictionary skills, listening, maps, graphs and charts, music memory, number sense, oral reading, ready writing, storytelling, social studies, Spanish oral reading and spelling.
Jan. 30-31 — Perfect attendance luncheons
Times below, at Collins Garden Elementary School, 167 Harriman Place
Students whose attendance was perfect for the second nine weeks and their parents may dine together in the school gymnasium, which will be decorated in a winter theme for the occasion. Mascots invited to attend include the Burbank High School bulldog and Chips and Salsa, representing Animal Care Services. The mascots were invited in honor of the students’ lessons on caring for animals and safety precautions to take when around them. The luncheons will be:
● Jan. 30 (Mon) – 11:50 a.m. to 1 p.m.
● Jan. 31 (Tues) – 10:45 a.m. to 12:40 p.m.
Feb. 3 (Fri) — SkillsUSA Leadership contest
5 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
Community professionals will judge career technology program students from District 11, which includes schools from throughout Central and South Texas. They will compete in leadership events such as quiz bowl, job interview, prepared speech, customer service and practical math. Student projects also will be on display.
Feb. 4 (Sat) — SkillsUSA awards ceremony
2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
Students who placed first and second in their categories at the Feb. 3 competition for District 11 will be honored. They also will qualify to advance to the state competition to be held in Corpus Christi.
Feb. 4 (Sat) — Student Aid Saturdays
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Teens aspiring to higher education and their parents or guardians will receive free one-on-one help in completing their federal and state financial aid applications. Student Aid Saturdays is a collaborative effort between the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, SA2020, San Antonio Education Partnership, Gen TX-San Antonio and local colleges and universities. The citywide goal is to increase by 5 percent the number of parents and students completing applications for federal and state aid this academic year. This will be the first in a series of Student Aid Saturdays.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks