Coming Attractions February 3, 2012
Feb. 4 (Sat) — Student Aid Saturdays
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
All SAISD seniors aspiring to higher education and their parents or guardians will receive free one-on-one help in completing their federal and state financial aid applications. Student Aid Saturdays is a collaborative effort between the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, SA2020, San Antonio Education Partnership, Gen TX-San Antonio and local colleges and universities. The citywide goal is to increase by 5 percent the number of parents and students completing applications for federal and state aid this academic year. This will be the first in a series of Student Aid Saturdays.
Feb. 4 (Sat) — SkillsUSA awards ceremony
2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
Students who placed first and second in their categories at the Feb. 3 competition will honored. They also will qualify to advance to the state competition to be held in Corpus Christi.
Feb. 6 (Mon) — MOLU-Mobile Learning Unit visit
8 to 11 a.m. and noon to 3 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh Place
Fourth- and 5th-graders will have the opportunity to enjoy fun, hands-on activities through this traveling exhibit featuring technologies related to the fields of energy, oil and natural gas.
Feb. 6 (Mon) — Parade and balloon launch for the 100th day of school
1:30 p.m. at the Carvajal Early Childhood Education Center, 225 Arizona St.
A celebration marking this occasion will feature a parade and the launching of 100 balloons.
Feb. 7 (Tues) — SAISD teens to participate in the SAWS Confluence youth water summit
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, 200 E. Market St.
A team of students from Highlands High School will join others from throughout the city in this groundbreaking event to learn about water issues facing our community and how they can make a positive difference. The summit is sponsored by the San Antonio Water System.
10:30 to 11 a.m.: Additionally, two of the Highlands HS students have been selected to participate in a round table with Mayor Castro to discuss water issues that concern them.
Feb.10 (Fri) — Deadline to apply for District 3 vacancy
4:30 p.m. at SAISD Central Office, 141 Lavaca St.
Qualified District 3 residents who would like to serve on the SAISD School Board may submit by Feb. 10 a letter of interest, résumé, proof of residency and completed application. Envelopes must be addressed “Single Member District 3 Vacancy” care of Board President Ed Garza, 141 Lavaca St., 78210. Those mailed must be postmarked by midnight on that date while hand delivered letters must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. District 3 is being vacated Carlos Villarreal whose resignation was effective Jan. 31. School Board members will conduct interviews on Monday, Feb. 13, and if necessary the following Monday, Feb. 20, when the candidate of their choice will be approved. For more information and to apply online visit: www.saisd.net
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks