Coming Attractions February 10, 2012
Feb. 14 (Tues) — ‘Read from the Heart’ book distribution
11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at Margil Elementary School, 1000 Perez St.
The school library – along with students and their families - will be beneficiaries of 3,000 books provided through an H-E-B grant. In addition to supplementing the Margil library, youngsters will be able to keep books to stock their own home libraries. They also will make Valentines to thank H-E-B for its generosity.
Feb. 14 (Tues) — ‘Love the Earth’ recycle program kickoff
2:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh Place at Babock Road
Launching the school’s new recycle program will be a visit from Carter, the city’s Solid Waste Management Department’s mascot, who will teach children about the three R’s: reduce, re-use and recycle.
Feb. 16 (Thurs) — 80th-anniversary celebration
6 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
This historic campus considered the “crowning jewel” of its Monticello Park neighborhood will celebrate 80 years by honoring distinguished alumni from the 1930s through the 2000s. These will include: Bernard Rapoport, founder of American Income Life Insurance Company; Boone Powell, legendary architect; San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro and his twin brother Joaquin Castro, state District 125 representative; and SAISD School Board President Ed Garza, who served as the city’s mayor from 2001 to 2005.
Feb. 17 (Fri) — SAISD’s Gamma Sigma Girls assist Habitat for Humanity
9 to 11 a.m. at Coleman Ridge, near Medio Creek Elementary School, 8911 Excellence Drive
All 10 of the District’s high school chapters for this new generation of Girl Scouts are contributing their efforts in constructing homes in this new Southwest San Antonio community. On this day the participating high schools will be Brackenridge, Burbank, Edison, Sam Houston and Travis Early College.
Feb. 17 (Fri) — Annual SAISD Parent Summit
9 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at the Wonderland of the Americas Mall’s Norris Conference Center, 4522 Fredericksburg Road
Parents will learn all they need to know about the STAAR – State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness test – and how they can help their children prepare for it. This is the second of two summits held annually by the SAISD Department of Community and Parent Partners.
Feb. 17 (Fri) — SAISD Council of PTAs Founders Day Banquet
6:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
This annual event celebrates the founders of the national Parent-Teacher Association.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks