Coming Attractions February 10, 2012
Feb. 14 (Tues) — ‘Read from the Heart’ book distribution
11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at Margil Elementary School, 1000 Perez St.
The school library – along with students and their families - will be beneficiaries of 3,000 books provided through an H-E-B grant. In addition to supplementing the Margil library, youngsters will be able to keep books to stock their own home libraries. They also will make Valentines to thank H-E-B for its generosity.
Feb. 14 (Tues) — ‘Love the Earth’ recycle program kickoff
2:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh Place at Babock Road
Launching the school’s new recycle program will be a visit from Carter, the city’s Solid Waste Management Department’s mascot, who will teach children about the three R’s: reduce, re-use and recycle.
Feb. 16 (Thurs) — 80th-anniversary celebration
6 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
This historic campus considered the “crowning jewel” of its Monticello Park neighborhood will celebrate 80 years by honoring distinguished alumni from the 1930s through the 2000s. These will include: Bernard Rapoport, founder of American Income Life Insurance Company; Boone Powell, legendary architect; San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro and his twin brother Joaquin Castro, state District 125 representative; and SAISD School Board President Ed Garza, who served as the city’s mayor from 2001 to 2005.
Feb. 17 (Fri) — SAISD’s Gamma Sigma Girls assist Habitat for Humanity
9 to 11 a.m. at Coleman Ridge, near Medio Creek Elementary School, 8911 Excellence Drive
All 10 of the District’s high school chapters for this new generation of Girl Scouts are contributing their efforts in constructing homes in this new Southwest San Antonio community. On this day the participating high schools will be Brackenridge, Burbank, Edison, Sam Houston and Travis Early College.
Feb. 17 (Fri) — Annual SAISD Parent Summit
9 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at the Wonderland of the Americas Mall’s Norris Conference Center, 4522 Fredericksburg Road
Parents will learn all they need to know about the STAAR – State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness test – and how they can help their children prepare for it. This is the second of two summits held annually by the SAISD Department of Community and Parent Partners.
Feb. 17 (Fri) — SAISD Council of PTAs Founders Day Banquet
6:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
This annual event celebrates the founders of the national Parent-Teacher Association.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day