Coming Attractions February 17, 2012
9 a.m. to noon at the Hilton San Antonio Airport, 611 N.W. Loop 410
Parents from throughout Bexar County are invited to learn how they and their child’s school can work together toward the common goal of student success. Principal of SAISD’s Wheatley Middle School, Mae Olison, is president and local conference chair of the symposium’s sponsor.
Feb. 20 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Feb. 21 (Tues) — Black History Month program
10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
District 2 Trustee James Howard will provide opening remarks for the first session. In keeping with this year’s theme “Celebrating Black Women in American Culture and History,” other guest speakers will be prominent women from throughout the community.
Feb. 21 (Tues) — Chili cook-off
10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at De Zavala Elementary School, 2311 San Luis St.
San Antonio’s status as the birthplace of chili will be celebrated. Judges will include SAISD District 5 Trustee Patti Radle. The judging starts at 10 a.m. and staff may sample the entries during their lunch periods.
10 a.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro will speak to seniors about obtaining financial aid for higher education.
Feb. 24 (Fri) — Night in Old Jeff
5:30 to 11 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Festivities in observance of this historic school’s 80th anniversary continue with a carnival-like celebration featuring a Moon Bounce, food and game booths, a three-on-three basketball tournament and a dance.
Feb. 24 (Fri) — Collaborative art and theater presentation
6:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
Students will perform original monologues inspired by original student sculptures. Other featured student performers will include the choir, mariachi and orchestra.
Feb. 25 (Sat) — ‘Batter Up to Dress ‘Em up’ Uniform Drive/Softball Tournament
8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Rusty Lyons Softball Field, 6300 McCullough Ave.
The community can contribute to a worthy cause while enjoying games of softball played by six District schools. Spectators are asked to bring new or gently-used uniforms to this drive and tournament sponsored by SAISD.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony