Coming Attractions February 17, 2012
9 a.m. to noon at the Hilton San Antonio Airport, 611 N.W. Loop 410
Parents from throughout Bexar County are invited to learn how they and their child’s school can work together toward the common goal of student success. Principal of SAISD’s Wheatley Middle School, Mae Olison, is president and local conference chair of the symposium’s sponsor.
Feb. 20 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Feb. 21 (Tues) — Black History Month program
10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
District 2 Trustee James Howard will provide opening remarks for the first session. In keeping with this year’s theme “Celebrating Black Women in American Culture and History,” other guest speakers will be prominent women from throughout the community.
Feb. 21 (Tues) — Chili cook-off
10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at De Zavala Elementary School, 2311 San Luis St.
San Antonio’s status as the birthplace of chili will be celebrated. Judges will include SAISD District 5 Trustee Patti Radle. The judging starts at 10 a.m. and staff may sample the entries during their lunch periods.
10 a.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro will speak to seniors about obtaining financial aid for higher education.
Feb. 24 (Fri) — Night in Old Jeff
5:30 to 11 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Festivities in observance of this historic school’s 80th anniversary continue with a carnival-like celebration featuring a Moon Bounce, food and game booths, a three-on-three basketball tournament and a dance.
Feb. 24 (Fri) — Collaborative art and theater presentation
6:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
Students will perform original monologues inspired by original student sculptures. Other featured student performers will include the choir, mariachi and orchestra.
Feb. 25 (Sat) — ‘Batter Up to Dress ‘Em up’ Uniform Drive/Softball Tournament
8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Rusty Lyons Softball Field, 6300 McCullough Ave.
The community can contribute to a worthy cause while enjoying games of softball played by six District schools. Spectators are asked to bring new or gently-used uniforms to this drive and tournament sponsored by SAISD.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 06 20 | 01:00 PM Click! Takata Safety Program
- December 09 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 20 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School