Coming Attractions February 24, 2012
Feb. 25 (Sat) — ‘Batter Up to Dress ‘Em up’ Uniform Drive/Softball Tournament
8 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Rusty Lyons Softball Field, 6300 McCullough Ave.
The community can contribute to a worthy cause while enjoying games of softball played by six District schools. Spectators are asked to bring new or gently-used uniforms to this drive and tournament sponsored by SAISD.
Feb. 25 (Sat) — SAISD Classified Job Fair
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
The District seeks prospective cooks, bus drivers and bus driver assistants. Interviews will be conducted during the fair and application support offered. Applicants are asked to bring their personal information, résumés and references. For more information call SAISD’s Department of Human Resources, 554-8440.
Feb. 27 (Mon) — Ready, Set …Bond community meeting
6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The public is invited to discuss conceptual site designs for the school’s renovations under the SAISD Bond 2010 program.
Feb. 28 (Tues) — Two-way immersion kinder roundup
3:30 to 5 p.m. at Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St.
Parents of students who will start kindergarten in 2012-13 – including interested SAISD employees - are invited to learn about this bilingual education program.
Feb. 28 (Tues) — Second Annual College Night
5:30 p.m. at Rogers Elementary School, 620 McIlvaine St.
Students and their parents will find out that it’s never too young to start preparing for higher education. The school’s annual college night is in collaboration with Generation TX, Teach For America and the Spurs Foundation.
Feb. 29 (Wed) — Texas Cavaliers to honor SAISD art student
10 a.m. at the Southwest School of Art, 300 Augusta St.
Hawthorne Academy 5th-grader Jourdan Vargas and her teacher Diane Sosa will be recognized for the student’s artwork, which placed first for City Council District 1 in the annual River Parade art contest. She and the other winners from their districts will receive a one-week scholarship to attend the Southwest School of Art’s summer art camp. Their schools each will get $1,000 for art supplies.
March 2 (Fri) — Read Across America celebration
Schools Districtwide will join others throughout the nation in marking what would have been beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel’s 108th birthday. Activities include these scheduled for the following elementaries:
● Baskin, 630 Crestview Drive at:
- 8:15 a.m. — Cat in the Hat visit
- 1:30 p.m. — book distribution to students and parents courtesy of
H-E-B’s Read 3 program. Parents also are invited to be guest readers
● Maverick, 107 Raleigh Place at:
- 8:10 a.m. — Miss Anastasia’s Wonderful and Wacky Storytime
- 9 a.m. — visit from the Cat in the Hat
- 10 a.m. — District 7 City Councilmember Cris Medina to read
- 10:30 a.m. — District 116 state Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer to read
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School