Coming Attractions February 24, 2012
Feb. 25 (Sat) — ‘Batter Up to Dress ‘Em up’ Uniform Drive/Softball Tournament
8 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Rusty Lyons Softball Field, 6300 McCullough Ave.
The community can contribute to a worthy cause while enjoying games of softball played by six District schools. Spectators are asked to bring new or gently-used uniforms to this drive and tournament sponsored by SAISD.
Feb. 25 (Sat) — SAISD Classified Job Fair
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
The District seeks prospective cooks, bus drivers and bus driver assistants. Interviews will be conducted during the fair and application support offered. Applicants are asked to bring their personal information, résumés and references. For more information call SAISD’s Department of Human Resources, 554-8440.
Feb. 27 (Mon) — Ready, Set …Bond community meeting
6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The public is invited to discuss conceptual site designs for the school’s renovations under the SAISD Bond 2010 program.
Feb. 28 (Tues) — Two-way immersion kinder roundup
3:30 to 5 p.m. at Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St.
Parents of students who will start kindergarten in 2012-13 – including interested SAISD employees - are invited to learn about this bilingual education program.
Feb. 28 (Tues) — Second Annual College Night
5:30 p.m. at Rogers Elementary School, 620 McIlvaine St.
Students and their parents will find out that it’s never too young to start preparing for higher education. The school’s annual college night is in collaboration with Generation TX, Teach For America and the Spurs Foundation.
Feb. 29 (Wed) — Texas Cavaliers to honor SAISD art student
10 a.m. at the Southwest School of Art, 300 Augusta St.
Hawthorne Academy 5th-grader Jourdan Vargas and her teacher Diane Sosa will be recognized for the student’s artwork, which placed first for City Council District 1 in the annual River Parade art contest. She and the other winners from their districts will receive a one-week scholarship to attend the Southwest School of Art’s summer art camp. Their schools each will get $1,000 for art supplies.
March 2 (Fri) — Read Across America celebration
Schools Districtwide will join others throughout the nation in marking what would have been beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel’s 108th birthday. Activities include these scheduled for the following elementaries:
● Baskin, 630 Crestview Drive at:
- 8:15 a.m. — Cat in the Hat visit
- 1:30 p.m. — book distribution to students and parents courtesy of
H-E-B’s Read 3 program. Parents also are invited to be guest readers
● Maverick, 107 Raleigh Place at:
- 8:10 a.m. — Miss Anastasia’s Wonderful and Wacky Storytime
- 9 a.m. — visit from the Cat in the Hat
- 10 a.m. — District 7 City Councilmember Cris Medina to read
- 10:30 a.m. — District 116 state Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer to read
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks