Coming Attractions February 24, 2012
Feb. 25 (Sat) — ‘Batter Up to Dress ‘Em up’ Uniform Drive/Softball Tournament
8 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Rusty Lyons Softball Field, 6300 McCullough Ave.
The community can contribute to a worthy cause while enjoying games of softball played by six District schools. Spectators are asked to bring new or gently-used uniforms to this drive and tournament sponsored by SAISD.
Feb. 25 (Sat) — SAISD Classified Job Fair
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
The District seeks prospective cooks, bus drivers and bus driver assistants. Interviews will be conducted during the fair and application support offered. Applicants are asked to bring their personal information, résumés and references. For more information call SAISD’s Department of Human Resources, 554-8440.
Feb. 27 (Mon) — Ready, Set …Bond community meeting
6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The public is invited to discuss conceptual site designs for the school’s renovations under the SAISD Bond 2010 program.
Feb. 28 (Tues) — Two-way immersion kinder roundup
3:30 to 5 p.m. at Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St.
Parents of students who will start kindergarten in 2012-13 – including interested SAISD employees - are invited to learn about this bilingual education program.
Feb. 28 (Tues) — Second Annual College Night
5:30 p.m. at Rogers Elementary School, 620 McIlvaine St.
Students and their parents will find out that it’s never too young to start preparing for higher education. The school’s annual college night is in collaboration with Generation TX, Teach For America and the Spurs Foundation.
Feb. 29 (Wed) — Texas Cavaliers to honor SAISD art student
10 a.m. at the Southwest School of Art, 300 Augusta St.
Hawthorne Academy 5th-grader Jourdan Vargas and her teacher Diane Sosa will be recognized for the student’s artwork, which placed first for City Council District 1 in the annual River Parade art contest. She and the other winners from their districts will receive a one-week scholarship to attend the Southwest School of Art’s summer art camp. Their schools each will get $1,000 for art supplies.
March 2 (Fri) — Read Across America celebration
Schools Districtwide will join others throughout the nation in marking what would have been beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel’s 108th birthday. Activities include these scheduled for the following elementaries:
● Baskin, 630 Crestview Drive at:
- 8:15 a.m. — Cat in the Hat visit
- 1:30 p.m. — book distribution to students and parents courtesy of
H-E-B’s Read 3 program. Parents also are invited to be guest readers
● Maverick, 107 Raleigh Place at:
- 8:10 a.m. — Miss Anastasia’s Wonderful and Wacky Storytime
- 9 a.m. — visit from the Cat in the Hat
- 10 a.m. — District 7 City Councilmember Cris Medina to read
- 10:30 a.m. — District 116 state Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer to read
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 09:00 AM Mayoral visit
- May 28 20 - May 31 20 | 09:00 AM SAISD Elementary School Choral Festival
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Ceremony
- May 29 20 | 07:00 PM Pin and Stole Ceremony
- May 30 20 | 07:45 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- May 30 20 | 06:00 PM Middle School Partners end-of-year celebration
- May 31 20 | 09:00 AM Gamma Sigma Girls to help Habitat for Humanity
- June 01 20 | 08:30 AM Second Annual Fun Run
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony